Expanding flock

bizzynik

Chirping
Apr 21, 2017
Kentucky
Last summer we ended up with a pullet that actually was a cockeral. We kept him with the knowledge that we would be expanding our flock this year and would need another rooster. He's always been kind of a loner. There's a couple of girls that will hang with him, but he's always been on the outside of our flock, probably since the other guy always is chasing him. My question is once our new girls are big enough to move out into the tempary coop to help integrate them to the existing flock, would it be a good idea to put him in there with them? My hope is that he'll bond with them and look after them while the 'old girls will stick with my other boy. It sounds like a good idea to me, but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks

Wishes really don't work generally speaking. If you want two flocks, better just build another set up and keep the young ones together if that is what you want.

The old guy is not going to get the idea of sharing the flock. In his world, more is better. Sometimes the juvenile rooster will take on the sergeant role where as he will always be on the outer edge of the flock, may catch a hen if she gets close enough, but his job is to sound the alarm. While the main rooster takes care of the girls.

You did not post the count of your flock, a lot of hens, makes this work better, somewhere around 25-30 and two roosters, and a lot of space makes this work better, space where the birds are not confined, and free range a great deal.

However, there are no hard and fast rules, sometimes two roosters will work, sometimes it kind of works, and sometimes it is a flipping disaster.

If you do not have a lot of hens, they can get pretty beat up with too much breeding. Another thing to consider.

Mrs K

We had 25 hens, but we have lost several this winter to predators. With the new additions there will be a total of 45 hens. Right now the girls seem to be holding up pretty good. All of the birds roam roughly 2-2.5 acres daily.

Back
Top Bottom