expanding the current coop versus building a second one?

Curlita

Songster
11 Years
May 22, 2008
Seattle, WA
It must be spring, everyone is talking about building coops!

I'm expanding my flock, and that's going to require expanding my coop. I have a great coop that someone built for me. It's 3'4" x 4'3" (about 14 square feet). I have four hens, which is technically too many for the space (going by the 4 square feet per hen rule), but they don't spend much time in the coop unless they are sleeping.) I was hoping to just build onto the existing coop, but I can't figure out a way to do it without either making it really hard to clean, or fiddling with the existing features (the roosts, food box, poop tray).

It would be easiest to build a second coop in the space, but I don't know how that would work. Would the chickens pick a coop and sleep there all the time? Are there any downsides to have two coops instead of one? Should I keep trying to find a way to expand the current coop?

My run is 11' by 8.5' (about 90 square feet). (I've been trying to figure out a way to turn the coop so I could expand it from the back of the coop, but I can't seem to find another way that the coop would fit in the run. Here are some Google SketchUp pics of my current arrangement: https://picasaweb.google.com/EricaManiez/ChickenRun?feat=directlink. I've been trying to figure out a way to turn the coop so I could expand it from the back of the coop, but I can't seem to find another way that the coop would fit in the run. . The tree can't be cut down without a lot of expense, and my husband will have kittens if I expand the run.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom