Expected life span for hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kodiakchicken, Oct 12, 2009.

1. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    This morning I found one of my hens dead in the coop. She was only 1 1/2 years old. A black australorp. We just got a new rooster yesterday and at first I thought maybe he had killed her, but there were no signs of damage. No blood, no scratches, no missing feathers. I couldn't find any reason for her death.

Any ideas? How long do hens usually live?

2. nature nut

nature nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I asked that question recently and some people have hens that are 15-22 years old and some were even still laying. Sorry to hear about your hen [​IMG] hope you can figure it out.

3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry about your hen. [​IMG]

I can tell you it wasn't old age. Chickens can live to be 10-20 years old.

In the past 6 years I've lost a few, just found them dead, no marks on them, so sign or symptom of illness. I just figured heart attack. If you have a university or livestock vet in your area you can send her in for a necropsy to try to get some answers.

4. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Thanks, everyone. I really didn't know hens could live that long. I automatically assumed the new rooster had killed her, but there just wasn't a mark on her. I don't know how a rooster could kill a full-grown bird without leaving a mark.

Unfortunately, we are on an island and there isn't even an extension agent here, let alone a university vet or anyone that would do a necropsy for less than a fortune. Hopefully it was a one-time thing.

5. henryetta

henryetta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    awww " kodiakchicken "... I LOVE your "dream". I even kinda lived it and loved it..hehe rasing kids and critters *was* heaven on earth :)

6. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    First of all, sorry for the loss of your hen. My uncle had a hen that was 12 when she was killed by his neighbors dog. Later that day the dog died. Yep, lead poisoning.

7. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I had a rooster break a hen's neck once. She kept trying to get away and he didn't let go of the back of her head. Very sad and quite a shock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by