Expected Temps -30 to -25 below

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dina k, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Dina k

Dina k Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2013
    The temps are expected to drop to -25 below zero. How do I keep my chickens from freezing to death? I have cold hardy chickens but they are not Arctic birds. I have a heat lamp in the barn now and extra straw down but my barn ( or coop) is 10x14. So if anyone can please help with this question I would GREATLY appreciate it .

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I don't use any heat at all and we drop to that low now and then in upstate NY. Have been as low as -19 so far this year. Heat lamps are dangerous and chickens did just fine before electricity. :) Others in cold climates will do things like pile hay bales around the coop. Make sure you have enough ventilation to let out the moisture to cut down on any frostbite. I am assuming these are adult birds - if they are chicks I'd bring them inside. :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  3. Dina k

Jun 9, 2013
    Thank you. They are four months old. I have the heat lamp to help the water from freezing but I didn't know if the temps would hurt the birds. We get cold here but as not cold as is expected very often.usually are zero. Thank you for your reply.

4. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    I have a heat lamp in my chicken house also. It's hung up high enough they can't break it and it is not close enough to hay to start a fire. Just keep them in the house out of the wind and keep them dry. If you have a run I would put clear plastic or tarps around it to keep the bitter winds off of them. Keep them out of the snow so they can stay dry. You might want to look into a heated water fountain or dog bowl if we are going to be having winters like this. They do keep your water thawed if they aren't exposed to extreme wind chills.

5. Dina k

Jun 9, 2013
    Thank you for your reply! They do have a run but they don't like the snow. I open their door for them every morning just in case they feel like going out. They will stand at the opening and look out or poke their heads out like twelve little indians all at the same time but will not go into the snow. They are fun to watch. I just wasn't sure how well they would hold up to temps such as these. I picked up a heated waterer tonight after work and put it the coop for them. I appreciate all the advice from those willing to give it! My chickens are my babies and only want the best for them.

6. showinbirds

showinbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    COLUMBUS, KS
    I think it's a good idea to keep a light on a 4 month old bird,and keep them out of the wind. if you have doors close or block the opening.-19 way to cold for me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by