1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Expecting"; what to do now?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tenMOacres, Jul 6, 2007.

1. tenMOacres

tenMOacres New Egg

Mar 19, 2007
    I have 2 hens each setting on a clutch of eggs. One will be at 21 days tomorrow, and the other next week. Here are my questions:

How do I move them into the brooder area we've set up? Mom & chicks, just chicks, Mom and eggs?

Can I plan to move the other hen into the same area, or will they need to be separated? If they can be together, should I move both hens at the same time?

Do they even need to be in a brooder if Mom is there to fend for them?

I wish I had thought ahead a little better and talked to the experts (you all) much earlier! I was just so excited that they were broody that I didn't stop to think what my next steps should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Hi!

First of all, leave the chicks with the mom. Where are they setting? Are they in a coop? On the coop floor? If they are up off the floor, you need to provide a place on the floor so the chicks don't fall from the nest and die. Be sure to have chick starter available and a shallow waterer with marbles or small stones in it so they won't drown. The hen will continue to sit for about 3 days until she's sure no more eggs are going to hatch. I would wait to move the second hen as the first one will be off the nest by the time hers start to hatch. If they're already situated on the floor, you don't need to move them unless there are other chickens that will bother them. Then, just put up some chicken wire or something to separate the mothers from the rest. Hope this helps!

Ellen

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by