Experience using caye ne pepper in food to deter squirrels?

Boise-girls

Songster
May 26, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Has anyone used cayenne pepper to keep squirrels from eating the chickens' food? I like to leave the hens' pen door open while they're free-ranging so they can come back in to eat, and the squirrels are chowing down!
If you have or do use it, how much do you use? Do you sprinkle it on top or mix it in? Thanks for any advice!

I would also say pepper would not work. It may actually encourage them. My mother-in-law has rats as pets. She would let them play in her bathroom and she tried putting capsaicin on the trim to deter chewing. They licked up all the capsaicin and looked for more. I would imagine squirrels might do the same thing.
Rats have more advanced culinary tastes than squirrels. I learned that from this documentary:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

p_ratatouille_19736_0814231f.jpeg

Reading some articles on google, it seems as though the capascin is what deters them, and seems to have a good chance of working as a deterrent. I read 1 tbsp powder per 10 pound bag of seed is enough.

It also seems that water will wash it away, so the mash may not work as much as just a powder.

You could also try other pepper varieties like haberno, maybe make a spray bottle of liquid and spray it on the food? The consensus seems to be it kind of works on bird feeders.

Back
Top Bottom