Experience with Hoover's Hatchery's Specked Sussex?

NinjaGamer2022

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
Just got 6 speckled sussex chicks from Hoover's Hatchery.
How was your experience with Hoover's Hatchery's Speckled Sussex?
I have had a great experience with my speckled sussex I got from a local breeder except I have found out of my 3 original girls only 1 is healthy.
Is Hoover's Hatchery's line of Speckled Sussex violent towards the flock?
I have had both great and terrible experiences from them.
Thank you.

I have had both great and terrible experiences from them.
Thank you.
I think this is standard for most all breeds. You can't really categorize a breed as much as folks want to. There maybe stereotypical traits - like barred rock hens being noisy, but temperament isn't one of them.

These breeding farms will typically have hundreds or thousands of parental chickens, all with different temperaments and most not incestual, so a bunch of different lines.

I agree with @BastyPutt regarding the multiple lines that are used by Hoover's and the others.

My Speckled Sussex is a Hoover's (via the local Bomgaars store), and I always refer to Bronwyn as my most unhelpful helper. She likes to be where I am, digging through bedding I've just raked up, sticking her head into buckets I'm trying to use, and generally being underfoot, all in a cute way.

She is not violent toward the flock, but she does defend herself and me. I have a Cochin Bantam rooster who is a complete jerk. He likes to launch sneak attacks where he comes up from behind and flogs me. Bronwyn won't stand for that; she regularly steps between the rooster and me, and bonks Billy Boy on the head when she sees him coming for me.

Sorry you've only got one healthy girl. Bes wishes with your new chicks!

Back
Top Bottom