Experienced chicken people!

There are thousand of us here. Your question for advice would mean I would have to write an article until my hands would start to bleed. :old :idunno
First,,,,,,, it would help if you included your location in your profile. We don't need your address, just general area. This way giving climate, weather related advice is much easier. I have no idea if you are in Antarctica, or Siberia, or anywhere in between.
Easiest way to get advice, is to ask what you do not know. Specific questions get easier responses.
Here is my first piece of advice... Make sure you have GOOD VENTILATION, regardless if its warm, or cold where you are at.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Hi! I have a few tips for you! Make sure the chickens are in a warm dry place. Try not to put the chicks or chickens in a cold, wet place. Wet and cold places are the prime spot for breeding grounds of nasty diseases. Never ever keep them in a wet environment. Keep the coop cleanand make sure your chicks or chickens reach enough daylight everyday for good egg laying timings. Keep an eye on their droppings. Here are all the normal and bad dropping charts:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/
If you notice any unusual deopping such as one having blood or anything, keep a close eye on which chicken or chick did this. Once you find put, you should be ready for medications, although do not give it to them straight away (the more you stay away from medications, the better), give them garlic or ginger in this case. If a hen or any chick or chicken is lethargic, give them electrolytes such as 2 or 3 tablespoons of sugar in water, after mixing them. Do not give the electrolytes too much, though. Same with garlic. Give them a clove of garlic in the morning, and the evening. If you see any symptoms of other viral disease such as Avian flu, try and stay away from medications the most and give them ginger or other natural meals.

A good egg laying hen should be exposed to 16 hrs of UV light. If you live in somewhere there is say, less hours of daylight such as 12 hrs or so, expose them to UV 'giving' bulbs or lights. What this does is it boosts up the egg laying hormones of eggs, maximising egg production. Do not exceed 16 hrs of exposure to UV light.

If there is a broody hen, such as one which is a bit agressive and sits constantly on eggs, try and move the hen away from the eggs, encouraging it to play around with the other hens. Research more on this from some this website: https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/6-ways-to-break-a-broody-hen/ , I am not much experienced when it comes to broody hens.

When you add a new hen or hens, the older hens will bully and peck them. This is called the pecking order, and it will evantually stop. Additionally, try and discourage them. Find out about this more here: https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/chicken-bullying/

Hope this helped, and tell me if it did! Thanks!

There are thousand of us here. Your question for advice would mean I would have to write an article until my hands would start to bleed. :old :idunno
First,,,,,,, it would help if you included your location in your profile. We don't need your address, just general area. This way giving climate, weather related advice is much easier. I have no idea if you are in Antarctica, or Siberia, or anywhere in between.
Easiest way to get advice, is to ask what you do not know. Specific questions get easier responses.
Here is my first piece of advice... Make sure you have GOOD VENTILATION, regardless if its warm, or cold where you are at.
Heres what I'm starting with: 4 pullets(2rir&2blksexlinks) about 1wk when I got them.(now4weeks).. have heat lamp in brooder. Proper feed/waterer. I live in phx and currently keep birds indoors.

Thanks like I said. I just want them to b happy haha but dulley
noted

Back
Top Bottom