Experienced chicken people!

Chickenman MAN

Let me tackle 2 questions here for you.
What is the feed medicated for?
Medicated feed like chick starter is treated with Amprolium It prevents coccidiosis in young chickens. Older chickens usually do not get coccidiosis, because they usually developed immunity to it. The culprit is Coccidia ,, a tiny single-celled parasites:rant

What are fermented grains, and what are they good for?
Fermented grains and fermented feed are just what the name implies. The chicken world is divided on the use of the fermented feed. Those that use it claim that it is better for their flocks health, and also feed consumption is supposed to be reduced.
The other portion of peeps that choose not to use fermented feed, feel that it is an unnecessary step. (including myself) I keep chickens as pets, and my flock is small. I would not notice a monetary difference in my budget by using fermented feed. It is also a step to give me extra work, and to make sure that the fermented feed gets consumed in due time period. BTW all my chickens do live long healthy lives, on dry feed and it is just common plain simple, Alflock, and not organic.
Alflock is 2% calcium, and 18% protein. I have layers and non-layers. That is why I opt for the lower calcium than Layer Feed, 4% calcium. I do always provide Cracked Oyster Shells free-choice. I haven't encountered soft shelled eggs, with the way I allow chickens to choose what they need. Chickens do get some additional calcium from free-range greens they consume.

I'm not posting my views about fermented feed to encounter any type of debate. If it works for you and your flock, I SUPPORT YOUR EFFORTS. :thumbsup
I did bring the subject up on a different forum, and QUESTIONED,,??? If fermented feed is soo good, and money saving, Why are the large egg production farms not doing it???
Response answer was,,,, that feed does go bad if not consumed in due time.:idunno

Are the chicken life span a generalized estimate for all breeds?
Different breeds have different lifespans. My longest living was a Silver Sebright. (13),, My EE was 11., her 2 sisters died a few years earlier due to a pulmonary disease:hit Many of my other chickens lived in excess of 8 years. I do not keep a spreadsheet of all my chickens, so just quoting and remembering the extra long ones. Generally heritage breeds will pull thru to around 10+ years.
Sex-link egg machine usually burn out at about 4 to 5 years. I think White leghorns also about same age range. My Red Sexlink went only about 3 and 1/2. and crossed the bridge naturally:hit

Chickenman MAN

Let me tackle 2 questions here for you.
What is the feed medicated for?
Medicated feed like chick starter is treated with Amprolium It prevents coccidiosis in young chickens. Older chickens usually do not get coccidiosis, because they usually developed immunity to it. The culprit is Coccidia ,, a tiny single-celled parasites:rant

What are fermented grains, and what are they good for?
Fermented grains and fermented feed are just what the name implies. The chicken world is divided on the use of the fermented feed. Those that use it claim that it is better for their flocks health, and also feed consumption is supposed to be reduced.
The other portion of peeps that choose not to use fermented feed, feel that it is an unnecessary step. (including myself) I keep chickens as pets, and my flock is small. I would not notice a monetary difference in my budget by using fermented feed. It is also a step to give me extra work, and to make sure that the fermented feed gets consumed in due time period. BTW all my chickens do live long healthy lives, on dry feed and it is just common plain simple, Alflock, and not organic.
Alflock is 2% calcium, and 18% protein. I have layers and non-layers. That is why I opt for the lower calcium than Layer Feed, 4% calcium. I do always provide Cracked Oyster Shells free-choice. I haven't encountered soft shelled eggs, with the way I allow chickens to choose what they need. Chickens do get some additional calcium from free-range greens they consume.

I'm not posting my views about fermented feed to encounter any type of debate. If it works for you and your flock, I SUPPORT YOUR EFFORTS. :thumbsup
I did bring the subject up on a different forum, and QUESTIONED,,??? If fermented feed is soo good, and money saving, Why are the large egg production farms not doing it???
Response answer was,,,, that feed does go bad if not consumed in due time.:idunno
Ah ok... thanks for the info! I've never raised chicks and wanted to make sure they weren't recieving unnecessary medication! Thanks though :D

My only advice is to take their safety and well being very, very seriously. Keep them safe from predators, give them good nutritious food and calcium on the side. Pay attention to their health, keep them safe from extreme weather. And, post all your questions here as it is the most generous and experience advice you will find anywhere.😒

Heres what I'm starting with: 4 pullets(2rir&2blksexlinks) about 1wk when I got them.(now4weeks).. have heat lamp in brooder. Proper feed/waterer. I live in phx and currently keep birds indoors.
I have four hens in Tempe. I have a small, (4x4x4’) elevated coop with 3 attached nest boxes for sleeping and nesting with an attached 4x6x6’ metal varmint proof cage with dirt floor for safe confinement. It has a 12” deep concrete footing to discourage digging varmints. The coop and cage are inside a 20x20’ pen with a 4’ fence. It opens to my walled and gated yard, which is also used by our 2 dogs. I have 3 options for letting the chickens roam: cage, pen, yard. They like the yard best, of course, but we have to be careful that they don’t eat the flowers! Their time in the yard depends on the season. Right now (winter) it’s about 6-7 hours/day.
The biggest challenge in central AZ is keeping the chickens cool in th summer. I have a mister in their cage and a portable mister in the yard. Their coop has multiple screened openings, a 12” exhaust fan, and a small swamp cooler. The fan and cooler are 12-volt and run off a solar panel.

Back
Top Bottom