Experienced horse people- I have an emergency -SHE"S DOING BETTER

Solsken Farm

Songster
12 Years
My pinto just got her hind leg stuck in one of the standing feeders. It was really awful to watch as she thrashed to get free. I thought for sure her leg was going to snap.

She initially didn't move, and wouldn't put weight on it, and I was sure she had broken it. But she was able to get to the stall when I lead her. She is clearly in pain, and she took the skin off the front of her hind hock, but no flesh was taken.

I am going to bute her, betadine and dress the wound and wrap it. I don't know if she tore any ligaments, or such. Will try to get the vet out tomorrow. But until she calls back, is there anything else I should do. I am just a basket case.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I think I would just clean the wound and leave her alone...I wouldn't wrap or medicate until you talk to the vet...The damage is already done...if it hurts she will stand still keep her crowded up in her stall with plenty of hay and water so she won't have to go far...But I'm not there to look at it and its not my horse....good luck

()relics :

I think I would just clean the wound and leave her alone...I wouldn't wrap or medicate until you talk to the vet...The damage is already done...if it hurts she will stand still keep her crowded up in her stall with plenty of hay and water so she won't have to go far...But I'm not there to look at it and its not my horse....good luck

Sometimes wrapping can cause more problems if it is not done right, so be careful, if you do wrap it make sure it is dry before you put the bandage back on. Made that mistake before! Just watch and note anything that changes so you can tell the vet! Good Luck and stay calm(yeah right)!​

Last edited:
If you have bute, I would go ahead and give her 2 grams now, then 1 gram in the morning. Also keep an eye on the wrap, the leg will likely swell and you don't want the wrap to get too tight.

Okay, thanks folks. I have a call into my farrier who is sometimes a better vet than the vets. An oncall Emergency vet just called and recommended 1 mg bute now and one tonight and clean with diluted betadine. She made a good point that wrapping the hock is hard to do (to keep it on) and as you all pointed out, could be too tight when it swells. Luckily it is really just skinned, so no flesh and gaping wound. Of course she could have fractured it so I will get it xrayed asap. She was heading to training in a week, for my daughter to be able to ride her.

Thank you so much. I am really so freaked out. Watching something that big caught in metal like that was beyond horrible. I appreciate the replies.

Yeap, normal people should not try to wrap hocks; and a little bute is good.

Two other considerations: if you can keep her in a very small pen or equivalent area, that is better than either a stall or a paddock/field; you want her to be able to gimp around rather than standing in one place, but not be able to go more than a couple canter strides in any direction in case something startles her. If you must stall her, I'd suggest adding a buncha extra bedding, including banking it deeply against the sides, as horses with a hurty hindleg can be prone to lying down and then getting cast or stuck, which is an additional complication you don't need.

Good luck with her, hopefully she just smashed/wrenched it enough to be real sore without actually doing lasting harm. Horses sure don't have much sense sometimes
tongue.png

Thinking good thoughts for you both,

Pat

Quote:
Big leap to assume I'm normal.
tongue.png
Pat, you always have such sage advice. I think I will do that tonight. Right now she is banging the stall door with her fore hooves, trying to get out. I can pen her in by herself and will do that in a little while. Thinking if anything, her stifle could have gotten messed up, but she is already putting some weight on it.

Tina, thank you, I really appreciate it.

I don't normally drink, but I think I might go have a sip of something to calm my nerves. I am still shaking.

Again, thank you all. It is so nice to have a resource to go to in the middle of something like this.
smile.png

Hope your pony is ok, there is nothing worse than a) watching and b) being helpless to know what to do!! I always panic when it comes to my pony and everyone knows that she is top of the list above anything or anyone else (apart from my kids!!)

Back
Top Bottom