Experimenting w/Bullies

@Mixed flock enthusiast today, Himself pleaded w/me to stop thinking up new ideas. In reality, we both know he was talking to you... :gig
I took 2 pallets standing up, and made a teepee. (His plea stems from always thinking he must step in and take over, lest the "little lady" hurt herself).
Once that was done, I put 2 weighted and lidded 5 gal buckets at a diagonal about 1' apart at the other end. When a bird comes out of the teepee, it can go straight, which gives it the option of going up,behind,infront of or through this roost(now in run).View attachment 3301860
Or cut between the buckets in any direction it chooses.
There was a long quiet conversation going on between the goons regarding what was going on. Once finished, Numi was 1st to explore. She approves, & thinks having food and water in the coop is pretty awesome, too.
Sounds like a great idea! I’d love to hear how your changes affect your flock, hopefully for the better :fl

No worries, you can totally make me the fall guy with your hubby! :gigMine just leaves me to it while I get out the sawzall, or whatever I’m messing with at the moment! I just joined a woodworking class taught by a carpenter. I missed the prerequisite intro class but showed him some pics of my brooder box and was able to join this class. I’m hoping to make gable braces for my house. I wanted help because while I’ve done a fair amount of building, none of my stuff actually looks good, like you need for home improvement. He gave me a task last week to make a plywood gable pattern and make sure it fits the gable. Unfortunately, I’m not so comfortable high on a ladder (2nd floor) so I need to get someone out here to hold the pattern up to the gable… Anyway, maybe this class will help my coop building skills? Or maybe I’ll just end up spending a bunch of money on new toys.:lau

Sounds like a great idea! I’d love to hear how your changes affect your flock, hopefully for the better :fl

No worries, you can totally make me the fall guy with your hubby! :gigMine just leaves me to it while I get out the sawzall, or whatever I’m messing with at the moment! I just joined a woodworking class taught by a carpenter. I missed the prerequisite intro class but showed him some pics of my brooder box and was able to join this class. I’m hoping to make gable braces for my house. I wanted help because while I’ve done a fair amount of building, none of my stuff actually looks good, like you need for home improvement. He gave me a task last week to make a plywood gable pattern and make sure it fits the gable. Unfortunately, I’m not so comfortable high on a ladder (2nd floor) so I need to get someone out here to hold the pattern up to the gable… Anyway, maybe this class will help my coop building skills? Or maybe I’ll just end up spending a bunch of money on new toys.:lau
Thou art braver than I. We've learned scaffolding is our friend.
It's still 1 story, but when we moved in it had the typical ranch style low pitch roof. I thought I'd be helpful by cleaning the gutters out..ended up sitting frozen on roof. He walked by, looked up,asked what was wrong, and I told him I'd just discovered I was afraid of heights...:oops:
30 years of constant tinkering, - it's still a 1 story house, but w/an attic and a steeper cabin-style pitch in the back.
In the process, he ended up sliding 12',falling abt 11' - w/a landing any gymnast would be proud of if not for the tib/fib that literally shattered. 3 surgeries in 2 yrs, I'm pretty sure he'd set off metal detectors.
After that he decided maybe letting the Amish finish the roof was a good idea, & nobody goes up there now! :gig
He does laugh at me swearing I'd have a garden village back there if he'd let me. Numi's "coop" is gradually turning into a garden/she shed/art studio. - but she does have her own stool to sit on when she visits.

Thou art braver than I. We've learned scaffolding is our friend.
It's still 1 story, but when we moved in it had the typical ranch style low pitch roof. I thought I'd be helpful by cleaning the gutters out..ended up sitting frozen on roof. He walked by, looked up,asked what was wrong, and I told him I'd just discovered I was afraid of heights...:oops:
30 years of constant tinkering, - it's still a 1 story house, but w/an attic and a steeper cabin-style pitch in the back.
In the process, he ended up sliding 12',falling abt 11' - w/a landing any gymnast would be proud of if not for the tib/fib that literally shattered. 3 surgeries in 2 yrs, I'm pretty sure he'd set off metal detectors.
After that he decided maybe letting the Amish finish the roof was a good idea, & nobody goes up there now! :gig
He does laugh at me swearing I'd have a garden village back there if he'd let me. Numi's "coop" is gradually turning into a garden/she shed/art studio. - but she does have her own stool to sit on when she visits.
I ❤️ for your She Shed and Numi’s visiting stool, not your husbands broken leg - ouch!!! Yeah, it’s frustrating to be less than comfortable on a ladder and rooflines are scary. We have a two story house and the chimney is crazy high, close to 30 ft! We bought the house six years ago and the siding had rotted off one side of the chimney. It’s taken forever to hire someone to replace that siding and to fix the area of the roof that caused the chimney to rot. We ended up renting a cherry picker to get that chimney finished. Always another project too!!!

Can't you use (or make) one of these? https://www.harborfreight.com/multi...Zs2akmo8QQ1VemfNLn_jtRKFFhVX0BEkaArLSEALw_wcB

If I could reach the gable! Actually I already had gable arches up there that I’m trying to replace. When the soffits were replaced, the old gable arches were tossed down and that’s what I’m used to measure the pitch. Seems to be 7/12 but the class instructor still wanted me to make a template and test it before constructing the new gable arches.

Back
Top Bottom