Experimenting while learning

AwesomesMommy

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2019
Hi,
I am pretty new to raising quail. I started with buttons and failed, then tried coturnix and am doing better.
I tried using a heating pad to hatch a few eggs. I succeeded only to have them die gasping for breath. Read up, started adding acv to their water and it worked. Hatched a couple more using incubator, then lockdown and hatched on heating pad.
I just hatched an egg, knew who the mom was, so I took the baby, hot mommy then put them together. I watched them to see if they’d bond. To my surprise, they did! Skittles, the mommy, is very maternal. She carries Tux on her back, tucked under her wing. She is an awesome mom. Today I checked on them and couldn’t find baby Tux, only to realize there’s a head poking out under Skittoes wing, on her back.

Attachments

• B7FBE602-73A8-4524-BD3F-F7674691196C.jpeg
    B7FBE602-73A8-4524-BD3F-F7674691196C.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 3
Hi,
I am pretty new to raising quail. I started with buttons and failed, then tried coturnix and am doing better.
I tried using a heating pad to hatch a few eggs. I succeeded only to have them die gasping for breath. Read up, started adding acv to their water and it worked. Hatched a couple more using incubator, then lockdown and hatched on heating pad.
I just hatched an egg, knew who the mom was, so I took the baby, hot mommy then put them together. I watched them to see if they’d bond. To my surprise, they did! Skittles, the mommy, is very maternal. She carries Tux on her back, tucked under her wing. She is an awesome mom. Today I checked on them and couldn’t find baby Tux, only to realize there’s a head poking out under Skittoes wing, on her back.

Back
Top Bottom