Expert please give detailed explaination of "Blood Ring"

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Apr 2, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I want to fully understand this.

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Symptoms Probable Cause Corrective Measures
    Blood rings Improper storage Follow recommended egg storage and gathering recommendations.
    Improper incubation temperatures Check thermometer accuracy and incubator functions. Follow recommended temperature settings.
    Improper breeder nutrition Feed breeders a diet with balanced nutrient levels.
    Improper fumigation Follow fumigation recommendations.

http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/trouble.html#BR

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Ive read it was when the chick started to develop, and then died, thus causing the blood ring.

4. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Instead of developing a spiderweb of veins you will see only one around the bottom edge of the egg. Like all the blood pooled to just one vein. It is an indicator that you had a fertile egg at one time but it quit developing on you.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Blood rings occur when the embryo dies. The blood that was moving though the membranes stops when there is no live to continue it. The pooling forms the ring of blood we see when we candle the eggs.

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Is it at the bottom (pointy end), or top?

7. HobokenChickenEmergency

HobokenChickenEmergency Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Evansville
    I had 2 this batch, and both blood rings were around the center. I think the location varies.

Both had tiny embryos in them, but 1 was all dried up and the yolk was brown. It was educational, in a gross kind of way.

8. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

I agree kind of in the middle at the widest part of the egg but sometimes it runs up the side too at and angle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by