expired canned veggies for chickens?

My only hesitation would be the sodium content of commercially canned foods. If I did feed it to them it would be in small quantities per feeding. I've never read anything on the amount of sodium they can ingest other than one article which stated that they can process water that contains up to .25% by volume. Yeah, 1/4 of 1% is not a lot.

You could run the veggies through a colander & rinse them with water to get rid of excess salt. I did that to some ears of corn that been buttered, salted, & peppered. I just rinsed them until they were clean. Good to go.

LOL this thread reminds me when I was in the Army and during a moment of weakness I snuck into the chow hall after the whole platoon had gone to bed and ate over 15 cans of pudding.

I have been rinsing them I have over 30 birds and have been opening a few cans a day for them so they each get a little bit they love it. Haha Ryan too funny can't imagine how you felt the next day!

I have been rinsing them I have over 30 birds and have been opening a few cans a day for them so they each get a little bit they love it. Haha Ryan too funny can't imagine how you felt the next day!
Oh boy, I was not feeling well. Luckily my time in the military was largely spent as an intelligence officer, (I later went on to work for Blackwater due to my unique skillset). I had very bad diarrhea, I was a svelt 265 pounds at the time, so luckily I was able to properly clean myself up. If that happened now I would be in BIG BIG trouble LOL!!

The main issue with canned food (and especially expired canned food) is the loss of vitamins. Minerals will still be there, but vitamin content reduces considerably during the high heat canning process and will continue to degrade over time. Canned food, like RonP said, should be used as a treat only, not as a main food source (for humans too, imo!)

As far as bacterial/mold/fungus/viral contamination, that is very unlikely to happen with commercially canned food or even properly home canned food. If the can is intact and looks normal, you should be good to go, like others have said.

This was a very useful thread for me. I tend to buy different brands of canned vegetable products to compare what I'm actually getting and while they're still safe to eat, some are so unappetizing I'd feel bad about donating it to a food bank. The ones I just personally don't care for but are still decent in quality, I give away or donate.

Back
Top Bottom