Exploding egg!!

Wipe off the inside of the incubator as best you can with clean paper towels dampened with water (no cleaners or chemicals). If any eggs have damp or wet goo on them, wipe them off gently with dry paper towels.

This is just to cut down on the smell; the eggs should be fine.
My baby quail are going into lockdown tonight and I had two exploding eggs are my eggs going to be okay what should I do

If the eggs were quail eggs just go ahead with lockdown and see what hatches. If you have another explode during lockdown you'll need to do what you can to keep humidity and temperature where they should be will you clean up as best you can.

First, you don't want to disturb any eggs more than necessary. If they are dirty, note their position, pick them up, wipe them off with a warm water soaked paper towel, clean the floor and wall of the incubator, then put them back as close to the same side up as you can, but not necessarily in the same place. The birds have already started to position themselves for hatching so you don't want to undo their work. Eggs with just a bit of goo on them should be cleaned in place if possible.

Second, you don't want the incubator opened longer than necessary, so if there are lots of dirty eggs, work in batches. As long as you're using water that feels warm to you (but not hot) the eggs shouldn't cool too much. What cooling they do will be shortened by keeping the temp up in the incubator. The biggest worry is the membrane drying too much which is only a problem if the eggs have pipped.

Third, you want to kill what bacteria you can without endangering the hatch. If you have a small misting bottle (I use a 2 Oz atomizer that came with one of my incubators) put 2-4 oz of hydrogen peroxide in the mister, let it sit in hot water a few minutes, and lightly mist all the eggs and the floor and walls of the incubator before you return to lockdown . The peroxide will kill some bacteria, increase humidity, help to soften the shell, and add some extra O2. And if you see some bubbling you'll feel like you accomplished something.

Exploding eggs can occur for several reasons. Most can be avoided by candling the eggs for cracks and being sure you know how old they are before setting. Intact, fresh eggs that aren't fertile shouldn't decay in the three or four weeks they'll be in the incubator. Sometimes small cracks develop in shipping that can let bacteria in so shipped eggs should be candle even if you trust the seller. If it's someone you haven't got eggs from before, try to keep those eggs near each other in the incubator. If one explodes, recandle the whole shipment and see what needs removed. An exploding egg isn't a disaster for the whole hatch, but it needs to be addressed promptly and avoided if possible.

Back
Top Bottom