Exploring the garden for the first time *pics*

WonderBolt

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 13, 2014
I've had my two ducks for just under a week (a week tomorrow) and yesterday I opened up the cage to see if they'd venture out, they came out for a bit but didn't go far, after a while I put them back in, today I let them out again for a good few hours, they chased off the neighbour's cats so that's solved my worry of them getting attacked, and loved it, ate many slugs, had fun hunting for beetles and spiders, it was so lovely to see them out and happy! We're building an extension onto their pen so they will have more room but for the time being they will be coming out in the garden whilst I'm there (I have a lot of animals so spend a lot of time in the garden :) )

Even my mum who is terrified of birds has been with them in the garden :) They are wonderful animals!

I would love to have ducks but I have chickens, turtles, and bunnies. Yours are soo cute!!!!!!!

I have lots of pets to, and the chickens and turtles get along. Whenever the chickens are running around the turtles are too!

They are beautiful! Please do not let your guard down about predators of any type - they wait for their opportunity. Not to detract from your joy, but to protect you, I share this.

Thank you :) until I've built a larger secure pen they will only be coming out whilst I'm there because although we have very few predators here that would take on a duck this size I'm not risking it :)

Yes, we're not going to let ours out until they're a bit bigger. We have heard of hawks swooping down and taking ducks, full grown too, which completely freaks us all out. Luckily, we don't really have them around here, and trees all over the place, but we still will take precautions.

I lost one of my chicks to a squirrel (ground squirrel).

Also, there's many racoons where I live, so I had to put more wire (with smaller squares) around the coop so the coons couldn't just reach in the coop and grab the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom