Explosive Egg- Now disgusting incubator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LinckHillPoultry, Jun 17, 2008.

1. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Yuck.

I had a ton of goose eggs in my incubator... they are nearing their hatch date.
    Well, I looked yesterday, everything seemed to be fine. When I went and looked today I saw a cracked open egg, I immediately though "Wow, that's pretty early to be hatching.", so I got closer, lifted the lid, and was instantly hit with a putrid smell, it is indescribable! When I looked there was an egg cracked in half with an almost fully formed gosling laying there and the disgusting yolk running all around my incubator.
    I immediatally took the fine goose eggs out of that incubator and placed them in my other to finish incubating. I picked the gross bator up and started to carry it out of the house to set outside for cleaning, and when I was about halfway to the door the bator sprung a leak and started leaking the exploding eggs' contents on my legs and feet. I could've thrown up.

Anyways, to make a long story short, the incubator is still sitting outside, and I have absoloutly no idea of how to scrub the fluids out and completely get rid of the putrid smell because that was my good incubator and I have no idea if I'm going to be able to use it again.
    I'm also hoping none of the fluids smells somehow managed to ruin my other eggs, but those eggs are in the other incubator and when I open the lid I can smell a tiny bit of the putrid odor, not much though.

I have absoloutly no idea of how the egg exploded, and I'm hoping the gosling that was in the egg died before the egg burst.

I've never experienced anything much like the smell of a halfway incubated egg.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Ugh. That is so sick. I would have puked.

I would order some Brinsea INcubation Disinfectant, and use that on the incubator, to kill all the germs, and get the smell out. Let it soak in some hot water.

Good Luck.

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
  4. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    Try baking soda in your incubator. It cleans and absorbs odors ....

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    worst

smell

ever

[​IMG]

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I use bleach. Rinse out the chunks with water first, then scrub the 'bator with bleach. Then rinse again. I take mine completely apart, btw. Then, I let them bake in the hot sun for the day...

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Luckily I never had a stinky egg exploding in my incubator.....one day it will happen when I least expected it to.

8. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    To avoid this I pick the eggs up every so often and put them to my nose. You can smell the bad through the egg, sometimes very vagely, but you can smell the difference between and bad egg and good egg. Sometimes I will open one of the bators up and can smell a bad egg in there, so then its time for the smell test.

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I wouldnt use bleach if it is a foam incubator. The incubator will absorb the bleach smell, which wont be good for the chicks. If it is plastic, then bleach would be okay.

10. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Plenty of hot water dish washing liquid, scrub and rub with soft brush and rag. Then use 1 part bleach 10 parts water. I always use bleach this way. Kill the bacteria is what U gotta do. Let it air dry outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by