Extending height of electric fence?

Jblanch1983

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2020
Hi all! We have 4ft. tall electric poultry netting and it’s worked great for 1.5y until a bobcat jumped into the run a few days ago and got at least 2 chickens. One was just dead without injury- maybe a heart attack from seeing the bobcat? 😞
I tested the fence voltage, it works fine! I think we need to make the fence higher (and bait the fence so the cat gets zapped).
Two options:
4 ft electric fence on bottom, 4ft deer fence on top (hardware cloth is so expensive for our our huge run)
OR
4ft. Electric fence on bottom and a few strands of grounded hot wire above (how many?, how far apart so that the cat doesn’t jump in between them? )

or any other suggestions???
Thanks so much everyone your advice is much appreciated!

You might just try putting some peanut butter on several strategic places on the hot wire. The peanut butter is to get their attention before they decide to jump over. Bobcat licks the peanut butter, get zapped, and probably won't be back again.

Hi all! We have 4ft. tall electric poultry netting and it’s worked great for 1.5y until a bobcat jumped into the run a few days ago and got at least 2 chickens. One was just dead without injury- maybe a heart attack from seeing the bobcat? 😞
I tested the fence voltage, it works fine! I think we need to make the fence higher (and bait the fence so the cat gets zapped).
Two options:
4 ft electric fence on bottom, 4ft deer fence on top (hardware cloth is so expensive for our our huge run)
OR
4ft. Electric fence on bottom and a few strands of grounded hot wire above (how many?, how far apart so that the cat doesn’t jump in between them? )

or any other suggestions???
Thanks so much everyone your advice is much appreciated!
I would bait the fence with raw bacon drapped over strands all the way around the fence at bobcat nose height and keep the birds locked up until you don't see disturbed bacon any more.

Back
Top Bottom