Extenstion Cord Case against weather elements

2txmedics

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Manvel Texas
I was on here two days ago, and was surfing. I came across a post for someone that had run an extension cord out in the yard. Since the rain, and the rest of the elements make this a bad idea. I saw one post where they bought some sort of casing for the plug area.

What is was is where the lamp plugs into the cord, Male/female connections...there was a case that covered that part only, and had a tight seal to keep water out.

I CAN NOT COME ACROSS THAT POST AGAIN TO FIND OUT WHERE THEY GOT THAT!!!! ANYONE ANY IDEAS?????

Glad to help
I just take a freezer ziplock bag and wrap it around the plug ends then wrap that with electrical tape really tight on each end. Unless they are actually sitting in a puddle it keeps them dry enough not to short out.

I have the pump to my pond plugged into an outdoor outlet winter and summer... it never occured to me that rain would be a problem. The outlet is made to be outdoors... I might need to rethink this.

The heavy duty extension cord should be all right outdoors... shouldn't they?

Curious,
Jenny

well the rain is not so bad, but my coops we found out are built on low ground!!! so of course this hard freeze and heavy rain, I have a swamp out there....so I didnt want to take any chances...

Quote:
I live dangerously.

I have cords run out all the time, nothin extra on 'em. When my yard was a lake, they were still out there. Nothin shorted.
They're all plugged into a GFI outlet though, so if somethin did happen to go wrong it *shouldn't* be deadly. I would assume that your outdoor outlet is GFI protected too - if it's not, maybe you should look into that.

I think I have way too much water around my coop areas, my luck would be that it would cause a fire, while yes Im still talking the extensions off the ground, I do want to protect them....the only problem I see with covering it in a a ziplock and taping it off, is that if I wanted to unplug it, I would have to do it at the box...leaving the cord coming completely from the hen house.

I looked on line at Home Deport and Lowe's and I CAN NOT find that covering...I'd rather buy it out then have to order it on line.....

I live dangerously too... but we get rain so infrequently here.

Forecast is rain daily until the 25th.

Why did I plant my garden on Friday??????????

Back
Top Bottom