Exterior coverings for Coop

chemew

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 10, 2011
I've been given a roll of tar paper and told I should wrap my coop (sides and roof) in it before I put the siding. Right now, the coop is a shell of 2x4's with no plywood or anything. With the tar paper installed and the siding (which is re-used boards from an old barn), the coop will be fine and the chickens will be well insulated. Is this correct?

Most of the other coops I've seen and read about on this site seem to have plywood put up before anything else - siding, tar paper, etc...

What is recommended to ensure the chickens are well protected / insulated?

I would say well insulated, no. It would close a lot of spaces wind could get in. The roofing paper is somewhat sensitive to tearing also. If it's place over a something so it has a backing it's not so bad. But on 2X4' by itself it would be tedious to work with. That would just be up to your helper to fight if that's what you decide to do.
Me, I wouldn't fight that battle.

Quote:
I agree. I can't see it providing any insulating factor, and a I think it would be a pain trying to put up over a framework. Put your barn boards up. Then, if you have gaps (if you're down south, tiny gaps probably wouldn't hurt, but if you get winters they'd be bad), either do battens or put up some kind of more durable lining on the inside - scrap 'anything' - paneling, plywood, something to block winter wind and icy rains.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom