External nest boxes and frozen eggs

Appalachickens

Songster
Dec 19, 2020
East Tennessee
I'm trying to design a coop and wanted to do external nesting boxes but have read on here about people having problems with eggs freezing in the winter. The coop will be at the lowest elevation on the property (about 1400 ft), but even so it is in the mountains, shaded, and it snows/gets very cold there. So-- would it make more sense to use up some of the coop space for internal boxes? Also - electric heated mats and so on is not an option because it isn't close enough to the house to get electricity to the chicken area. Thoughts?

Internal nest boxes, about two feet off the floor, still give floor space, and will be easier to keep warmer. Mine are across the back of the coop, and work fine.
Make the coop plenty big! You won't regret larger, and will hate too small. Also make it walk-in, and well ventilated.
I think you will regret lacking electricity out there, especially in winter. Having a light on 3am to 7am keeps egg production going at some level, rather than ending when it's dark. And in cold weather, having heated water bases is so much better than doing unfrozen water three times daily!
Think about having enough space for the birds, excellent predator protection, and your comfort managing them all year.
Mary

Internal nest boxes, about two feet off the floor, still give floor space, and will be easier to keep warmer. Mine are across the back of the coop, and work fine.
Make the coop plenty big! You won't regret larger, and will hate too small. Also make it walk-in, and well ventilated.
I think you will regret lacking electricity out there, especially in winter. Having a light on 3am to 7am keeps egg production going at some level, rather than ending when it's dark. And in cold weather, having heated water bases is so much better than doing unfrozen water three times daily!
Think about having enough space for the birds, excellent predator protection, and your comfort managing them all year.
Mary
Electricity just isn't an option for me, so no heated anything.

I am doing an 8X8 coop for 8 birds (and a 12X16 run). I can't go bigger than that given the way the land is laid out without cutting down an enormous tree (which I won't do). But I think that will be plenty for my my purposes. It's definitely a walk-in design.

I THINK my eggs don't tend to freeze unless they sit there for a long while in the 20s and it isn't until we get close to zero that they freeze after just an hour or three.

So.... are temps really that cold where you are? (Sorry... only been in the state once.... no real idea)

External nestboxes, if sheltered from wind, and built well (so no cracks all over letting wind in) can be fine in moderate temps.

It is just difficult to build them without a line of air seepage at the hinge... which is great in hot weather... but a problem in cold.

But.... if your cold spells are short... well... 2 weeks a year of frozen eggs might be worth the convenience and extra coop space of External nest boxes.

Also... I see nothing wrong with eating cracked frozen eggs... I just wash them ... then cook them. I do cook them completely though... no poached frozen eggs.

Here part of the roof is insulated, and it helps with summer heat especially. Even with shade, which we have, it does help. It will help a bit in winter too.
I think eggs don't freeze until it's below about28F, but don't quote me on that! Collecting a couple times each day does help. We had -10F recently, and no eggs froze, because our coop was not quite that cold inside, and I collected them at least twice each day.
I won't eat any eggs that crack before they are washed, but have fed them to the critters.
Your coop size sounds good too.
If you have bears, only electric fencing keeps them out...
Mary

I THINK my eggs don't tend to freeze unless they sit there for a long while in the 20s and it isn't until we get close to zero that they freeze after just an hour or three.

So.... are temps really that cold where you are? (Sorry... only been in the state once.... no real idea)

External nestboxes, if sheltered from wind, and built well (so no cracks all over letting wind in) can be fine in moderate temps.

It is just difficult to build them without a line of air seepage at the hinge... which is great in hot weather... but a problem in cold.

But.... if your cold spells are short... well... 2 weeks a year of frozen eggs might be worth the convenience and extra coop space of External nest boxes.

Also... I see nothing wrong with eating cracked frozen eggs... I just wash them ... then cook them. I do cook them completely though... no poached frozen eggs.
Well, not nearly as cold as it gets in Alaska! But below freezing on occasion. We have wildly variable weather in the winter - snow some days and then yesterday I was out working in a t-shirt. So it would be more 2-3 days of frozen eggs periodically, I guess.

Here part of the roof is insulated, and it helps with summer heat especially. Even with shade, which we have, it does help. It will help a bit in winter too.
I think eggs don't freeze until it's below about28F, but don't quote me on that! Collecting a couple times each day does help. We had -10F recently, and no eggs froze, because our coop was not quite that cold inside, and I collected them at least twice each day.
I won't eat any eggs that crack before they are washed, but have fed them to the critters.
Your coop size sounds good too.
If you have bears, only electric fencing keeps them out...
Mary
Oh, I'm planning to insulate well. I won't always be able to collect eggs twice a day since I still work full-time. But I guess losing a few eggs isn't the end of the world.

I don't know that any bears have been spotted in the area. One semi-confirmed spotting of a cougar. But bobcats, for sure.

Back
Top Bottom