External Pip Day 24 (duck)

OneLuckyDuck

Chirping
May 5, 2019
This is my first time incubating duck eggs. I am using a still air incubator with the little dial/knob for heat adjustment. I have two hygrometers inside (Govee bluetooth & $10 one from amazon) they of course give different readings but I would say that i have managed a temp of ~102 throughout (Holderread rec. higher temp for still air). The eggs went in at midnight on 3/22 so today should be day 24 (?) I have manually turned every 8hrs and air cell appear to be where they should be. Today was the first day I cold feel them move, hear some, and see one has an external pip. I had planned to cont to turn thru tomorrow (day 25) and continue spraying up until hatch. My question is do I not turn the externally piped eggs (leave it facing up) or just continue as planned? Any insights/suggestions welcome. Also on a side note how long past Day 28 do you let eggs go if they don't hatch by then?

This is my first time incubating duck eggs. I am using a still air incubator with the little dial/knob for heat adjustment. I have two hygrometers inside (Govee bluetooth & $10 one from amazon) they of course give different readings but I would say that i have managed a temp of ~102 throughout (Holderread rec. higher temp for still air). The eggs went in at midnight on 3/22 so today should be day 24 (?) I have manually turned every 8hrs and air cell appear to be where they should be. Today was the first day I cold feel them move, hear some, and see one has an external pip. I had planned to cont to turn thru tomorrow (day 25) and continue spraying up until hatch. My question is do I not turn the externally piped eggs (leave it facing up) or just continue as planned? Any insights/suggestions welcome. Also on a side note how long past Day 28 do you let eggs go if they don't hatch by then?
Yes, definitely lockdown now. I leave eggs in until day 32.

Yes, definitely lockdown now. I leave eggs in until day 32.
Several more have externally piped and I hear them talking but pips have not processed to much more than a star-shaped crack/cracks. Some of the pips are now >12 hrs I want to just give them more time before attempting to enlarge the pip, but not sure if this is the right call.

Several more have externally piped and I hear them talking but pips have not processed to much more than a star-shaped crack/cracks. Some of the pips are now >12 hrs I want to just give them more time before attempting to enlarge the pip, but not sure if this is the right call.
Wait at least 24+ hours before assisting at all. Ducks need time to learn to breathe and to absorb the yolk sac after externally pipping. They're totally fine. Ducks are very slow hatchers, its nothing to be concerned about.

Wait at least 24+ hours before assisting at all. Ducks need time to learn to breathe and to absorb the yolk sac after externally pipping. They're totally fine. Ducks are very slow hatchers, its nothing to be concerned about.

Thank you. I was just worried as other than the star crack I am unable to see a hole or even that the membrane has been penetrated to allow air into

Thank you. I was just worried as other than the star crack I am unable to see a hole or even that the membrane has been penetrated to allow air into
Air can get through very small holes. They always start with small holes because if they were any bigger the babies would become shrink-wrapped. Don't worry they can breathe just fine. They know what they're doing. ;)

Air can get through very small holes. They always start with small holes because if they were any bigger the babies would become shrink-wrapped. Don't worry they can breathe just fine. They know what they're doing. ;)
I am having trouble keeping humidity up especially if I open vent holes. I have 2 dishes of water with sponges inside, all troughs filled, and a humidifier running outside to help pre-moisten the air. the one whose white membrane is exposed looks dry should I mist them. The humidity has been around 60-65. I can get higher with vents closed but.....Thank you for your advice and time

Unless the membrane starts to look brown it should be fine. Ducks are slow pokes and you can do a lot more harm jumping in to 'help' too soon than just keeping the faith and letting them do it themselves. This is the most nerve wracking part but it'll all be worth it.

Unless the membrane starts to look brown it should be fine. Ducks are slow pokes and you can do a lot more harm jumping in to 'help' too soon than just keeping the faith and letting them do it themselves. This is the most nerve wracking part but it'll all be worth it.
X2!

Back
Top Bottom