External Pip No zipping yet-30 hours...Need advice

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pamelajy15, Nov 13, 2013.

1. pamelajy15

pamelajy15 Chirping

Mar 18, 2013
    I have some eggs hatching...it is an elementary attempt. The first chick hatched with no problem and is doing fine. Two chicks hatched and I lost both of them...They pipped 6 hours after the first chick and hatched the next morning. They were weak, wet, never strong enough to stand on their own. temp is just below 100. I supplemented with electrolytes in water to them and they did get stronger for the day but I lost them in the end.

One egg began an external pip 30 hours ago. Strong tapping and peeping. Pip is open about 1/2" starting to dry around the edges. Chick is getting weaker...trying to leave her alone. Misting the shell when I check on it. Any thoughts on when I should assist? I do not want to lose this one.

Incubator is a closet, heated. Temps are good. I'm in Florida, humidity is ever present. Chicks are mixed breed...Roo was a buff Orp...This chick, from a Jersey Giant hen.

Lost my sweet Roo to a Barred Owl three weeks ago and in my sadness, set some of his eggs...what a learning curve.
    Thanks

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Songster

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    HI & [​IMG],
    You should re-post this in the Incubating & Hatching Eggs forum. Or go to Sally Sunshine page she has articles on hatching. She may be on the site now. Good Luck.

3. pamelajy15

pamelajy15 Chirping

Mar 18, 2013
    Thanks...Too late, I realized I posted in the wrong forum and reposted there.

4. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Crowing

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    [​IMG] Glad to have you join us! I hope the rest of the hatch goes okay. [​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Good luck with your hatch.

6. liz9910

liz9910 Crowing

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

7. [​IMG]
    Try posting in Incubating and Hatching Eggs, I don't know if Sally minds me saying this but: Sally Sunshine who is a BYC member knows a lot about that!

Edit:
    I am editing to say I just realised that someone else said this too.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by