Externally pipped for over 16 hours with no progress

majamarie

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2023
Day 28 incubating pekin eggs. They were cracked this morning. Over 16 hours later and they have made minor progress to make the crack larger but not much. Still no hole. I can see them pushing on the crack from inside, one of them even looks like it has pierced the membrane. They are still moving and chirping. Should I be concerned at this point?

*photos are from earlier. they have made minor progress from that point*
B0F9428F-3025-48F7-B2F3-AA9A2560DCCA.jpeg

Attachments

• 0199D12F-8AC1-44CB-88D6-6ED950C60E9B.jpeg
    0199D12F-8AC1-44CB-88D6-6ED950C60E9B.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 3
Ducks take forever...they will probably hatch tomorrow night. Sit tight and don't worry. They still have plenty of time to start hatching. Give them at least 24 hours.

After external pip it can take 24-48 hours
Sometimes less
I had one pip and hatch in 8 hours but he had a huge air cell from a tiny hole I didn’t see at the start
I think he had lots of air abc didn’t need to pip before that
Usually they will make one crack
Then 8-12 hours another one beside or close to the first. Then more waiting and waiting
Some slowly zip over time and others go fast
I wouldn’t worry at all yet

I only have experience with chicken and quail eggs but the only advice I can give here is to start timing from any minor progress rather than overall time. Write it down if you prefer- anytime they’ve made a bit of progress you know they are at least doing something. You only get concerned when there has been several hours with no minor progress made- not sure how long ducks go between each stage

After external pip it can take 24-48 hours
Sometimes less
I had one pip and hatch in 8 hours but he had a huge air cell from a tiny hole I didn’t see at the start
I think he had lots of air abc didn’t need to pip before that
Usually they will make one crack
Then 8-12 hours another one beside or close to the first. Then more waiting and waiting
Some slowly zip over time and others go fast
I wouldn’t worry at all yet
Okay thanks so much! I was
Day 28 incubating pekin eggs. They were cracked this morning. Over 16 hours later and they have made minor progress to make the crack larger but not much. Still no hole. I can see them pushing on the crack from inside, one of them even looks like it has pierced the membrane. They are still moving and chirping. Should I be concerned at this point?

*photos are from earlier. they have made minor progress from that point*
View attachment 3392138
They both hatched this morning!!! Happy and healthy!

Back
Top Bottom