1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

extra chicks from hatchery?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by FortWorthChicks, Jan 7, 2010.

1. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I ordered 10 chicks for laying and 4 for meaties, they will be shipped to me. I have heard of putting extras in for warmth. How many chicks do you think they will put into an order that small? should I expect extras and if so do they just throw any breed handy in there or do they put more of what you ordered males mostly?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Packing Peanuts... that's what they call them... [​IMG] [​IMG]

There are many beloved peanuts owned by folks on this forum!

the answer to your question depends a bit on the hatchery... some have minimum orders of 25 so...

kinda makes for a fun surprise, ay?

3. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Ideal poultry puts ALOT!! and they are wat ever didnt sell....i did get three girls in the 8 that i got [​IMG]...but one got eaten by my neighbors cat [​IMG] darn THING

4. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    I ordered a dozen silkies last year from Ideal. They sent 'Packing Peanuts' in the form of RIR and I assumed they were cockerals. I placed an ad in freecycle the day before they arrived and someone was lined up to pick them up just a couple hours after they arrived. I had 8 included in the order. Worked out perfect.

5. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    So ... from Ideal which is not far from here if I only ordered 14 you think I could come away with as many as 10 extras?????????? Holy Canoli that sounds awsome. Hmmm..... Oh I like this alot!! hmm im going to look on the site close to the date and see whats sold out try and guess what extras I might come up with.

[​IMG]

6. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I ordered 16 chicks from ideal, got 6 extra, 2 CM pullets, and 4 BR roos.

7. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    I ordered from ideal. I don't remember the exact number, but probably around 14. I got 9 cockerels that I didn't want. But, you can ask them not to send any roosters for warmth. I did that once and they didn't send any. All of my chicks were still fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by