Extra cockerels - what to do with them?

NickyPick

Songster
10 Years
Sep 18, 2010
Pine Valley (New Waverly), TX
I've got 4 almost 9 week old cockerels that need to go away. The guy I hatched for ended up having to back out due to divorce and so now I'm stuck with these boys. Craigslist has turned out to be a dud as is the sale section of this site. Anybody have any suggestions? They're very cute, but I've already got two full grown roosters and cannot keep these guys.

Last edited:
Nobody can give away cockerels right now - there are SO MANY chicks.

Process them at 12-16 weeks depending on their breed/size. *Free* chicken dinner. They'll make better soup/roasters, but if one is particularly well endowed you may get some usable breasts, thighs or wings from them. It's a very simple process - check the "meat birds" threads.

Another option is to practice caponizing (this is my plan). Some may die (also part of my plan), but you'll learn the process. Capons are tamer/less aggressive so they can stick around to fill out a bit more. Some people have even had them go broody and raise chicks!

We make all extra Roos into dinner. We also share the meat with a friend and a neighbor down the road. Come June we will have about 10 meat birds to deal with.

Mom eats chicken, but she can't handle me processing anything that lives on our property. Doesn't like to admit that her food has a face. She's also fragile - I'm NOT going to put her through any stress.

I've place ads on Craigslist twice with no response.

Mom eats chicken, but she can't handle me processing anything that lives on our property. Doesn't like to admit that her food has a face. She's also fragile - I'm NOT going to put her through any stress.

I've place ads on Craigslist twice with no response.
Bring those birds to my place and we'll take care of it. I'll package it up so you can take it home. Mama can have some of the tastiest and healthiest chicken ever and never know where it came from.
wink.png
. But really, you should not have a problem getting rid of them on CL

I have the same problem and it's agonizing. I started out with two roos (sold as hens). Of course I fell in love with them, and they were bantams and not TOO noisy. Now I have about 9 handsome roos (from hidden nests) who are about 9 mo. old, horny, and the crowing is near-constant. Luckily my next-door neighbor is happy to receive eggs and is drunk most of the time, but I know these bantams can be heard blocks away. Anybody live near Richmond, VA who can use them, either as pets or (gulp) something else? I just don't wanna know. Where I live I just can't have the noise. I'm a chicken scofflaw. My only options seem to be to either dump them in some neighborhood of do-gooders, or euthanize them myself. I hate both thoughts. Any takers near Richmond, VA?

I'm on the same boat. I have at least 4 boys. 2 are going to freezer camp in a few weeks when the quail are processed. I also have 2 brahmas that may be roos
he.gif
. I've been trying to save my banty boys, though finding takers isn't easy. If anyone in MA, eastern NY or western CT wants them they're free to good home.
fl.gif
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom