extra fermented feed

WIchickMama

Free Ranging
Aug 15, 2021
Western WI
If I made too much for 1 day's feeding can I put the leftovers in the fridge and feed until it is gone? I don't want it to go bad or get to the point of no return. Also, can I heat it up? thanks (I fermented all flock pellet feed)

It's not necessary to feed out the FF in one day. It will keep for three days at near optimal potency. It won't spoil. It just goes flat as it loses its punch.

I'm also wondering if you are giving it long enough to ferment. I can get a good ferment in just 24 hours by using filtered water and a spoon full of the previous batch. Fermenting from scratch requires at least 48 hours to get a fermented product.

You will know your feed is properly fermented when you see it has expanded and fluffed up from the yeast gasses and has a pleasant sour dough aroma.

I use two buckets, starting the next bucket using a bit of the fermented feed as I empty one. That way I always have fresh FF. You would only need to refrigerate it if you want to slow down the fermenting process and extend the life of that batch.

No, you should not heat the FF as it can destroy the cultures.

yes, I believe I am waiting long enough for it to ferment--72 hours for this first batch and I will save some of the liquid for the next. I did start a new batch about 24 hours after the 1st so I can keep feeding and not have to wait for more to be ready.

Thanks for the advice on heating--nor not to heat as it states

Unless you really want your FF soupy, it's not necessary. If you only just barely cover your dry feed with water, it will end up the consistency of thick oatmeal and will be much easier to deal with. Also, that way your chickens aren't consuming huge amounts of water in the form of wet feed. Their poops will be much more solid.

Unless you really want your FF soupy, it's not necessary. If you only just barely cover your dry feed with water, it will end up the consistency of thick oatmeal and will be much easier to deal with. Also, that way your chickens aren't consuming huge amounts of water in the form of wet feed. Their poops will be much more solid.
AHHHH good point, didn't think of that! thank you as I don't want runny poops, lol

Back
Top Bottom