Extra light for chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jjohan15, Dec 20, 2012.

1. jjohan15

jjohan15 New Egg

Dec 20, 2012
    I've put up a light on a timer in my chicken house so that my hens can get back laying more since the days are so short. My question is whether i should have my light on in the morning or at night, like starting at 6pm when it gets dark until around 11 pm, or 4 am until its light outside

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you have it come on in the morning, the chickens will get up and then go to roost at their usual time. If you have it go off at 11, they may be 'caught' on the floor when the lights go out.

3. chickenpicker32

chickenpicker32 New Egg

Dec 14, 2012
    Think about a long summer day; depending on where you live, sunrise around 6 am, and sunset around 9 pm. Now, it's not getting light until 8 am and getting dark at 5 pm here in MT. So you would turn your light on from 6-8 am, then again from 5-8 pm. Shoot for around 14 hours of light.

4. jjohan15

jjohan15 New Egg

Dec 20, 2012
    Well i dont even know if the light will help. I live on a farm thats very old and my chciken house is a long rectangle and the outside wall is just chicken wire, so the chickens go in at night to roost even while the light is on

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    The light does help. I would bet that they get up and are active when the light comes on in the morning before sunrise. With the added light their day is long enough that near the time the light will go out the are ready to sleep and know that the light will go out so they know to go to roost. I know mine do.

6. jjohan15

jjohan15 New Egg

Dec 20, 2012
    Do they actaully have to be up and moving around for the light to work, or will it work even if it just shines on them while they roost?

7. Swim Skinny

Swim Skinny Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2012
    Mine are active for the most part when the light comes on and them may get back to roost a bit during the day, especially if its cold...I still have good egg response with regular lighting schedule of 13-14 hours.

8. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    I would recommend the light come on in the morning, 0400-0500 hrs, and go off an hour or so after day break. I agree that the chickens should go to roost at normal dusk times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by