Extra support for constipated and runty chick?

swamphiker

Crowing
Feb 24, 2020
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
One of my two-week old RIRs spent approximately 24 hours very constipated. It has been somewhat better for the last 6-7 hours after several warm baths, enemas, coconut oil and molasses (can you tell I was desperate?) and has successfully passed waste this afternoon without assistance (yay!) and the swelling has reduced significantly, though it still has trouble pooping. This chick is significantly smaller (between 10 and 20g) than the other chicks, but its feathers seem to be coming in normally. This chick wasn't undersized until the constipation issue started.

The only reason I haven't given up on this chick yet is because it simply acts like it wants to live. It eats and drinks voraciously and is very active. I have been encouraging increased liquid intake by mixing their starter crumbles with warm water, which all of the chicks love. Is there anything else I should be doing to try and help this little chick pull through?

P.S. A huge thank you to everyone on this site, the threads have been immensely useful so far!

Congrats on helping your chick get through what sounds like a very rough patch! Have you tried adding probiotics to its diet? I find that pasting issues resolve quickly with raw vinegar in the chick's water and/or fermented feed.

Best wishes for your little fighter!

Back
Top Bottom