Extream infection.

PDurkin

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 27, 2010
Country boy at heart
Before I start this I would like to make it very clear before I'm torn to shreds that I am 4 hours from any avian vet. So here we go...

Yesterday around 5 o'clock I noticed that my jumbo Pekin duck had a lot of flies harassing her vent. To get a closer look I found to gash wounds under her wings with maggots crawling around inside. I took her indoor and washed her off and cleaned her off with antibacterial soap. Then i applied neosporin to the wounds and let her rest in a crate.

This morning she was very upset being alone and was much worse, so I put her in an empty breeding pen with my female blue swedish.
I went to check on her at 12 pm and her wounds are so badly infected you can smell the rotting flesh and see 100s of flies. She is a white pekin with so much damage she seems 50% black.

Is there any hope in saving her or should I just cull her? And if so how would you suggest culling her with no bloodshed?

Thanks ahead of time

Without seeing the bird, it's hard to say. Actually the maggots are doing her a favor eating the dead tissue. I am far from an expert, but I am sure she needs antibiotics, I would think injections would be best. Feed stores sell the stuff you need. Maybe LA200? Is she eating and drinking?

From what I can tell she is not eating and drinking. She seems to be isolating herself. Also it's 98 degrees here so I'm sure infections can flourish in this weather.

I would put her down. She is suffering. So sad
sad.png

Quote:
I don't know about saving her vs culling, but apple cider vinegar will remove the maggots. We had a dog that was very old that my mom didn't want to put down, that ended up getting maggots, and that is what the vet told her to do to get rid of them before bringing her in. My mom was in denial about having to put her to sleep until then, and it made it clear that it was (past) time. It might be painful though ... my mom didn't mention it being painful for our dog, but if she has raw spots I would imagine it would hurt.

If you look up euthanasia in the search bar for this site there are ways to put your chicken to sleep. I thankfully have never needed to, but I've looked into it just in case.

Back
Top Bottom