Extreme couponing question

rancher hicks

Free Ranging
14 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
I'm visiting family and they have cable so I just watched two episodes of Extreme Couponing. Just where do these people get all these coupons?

Are they really saving all that money? Don't stores have limits on how many items they can buy?

Keep in mind its reality TV... You can buy coupons online, whole inserts or just the ones you want. Or they buy multiple papers, or go dumpster diving.

Depends on the store, some limit you as to how many coupons you can use, some of the coupons have limits too, like limit 4 like coupons per customer.

I was pretty in to it last year, but I have slacked off. I think I have enough free toothpaste for five years...

Well I won't say I could get into it to a degree. I also wondered why these women don't use it for a less selfish purpose and donate to the food pantry's or military over seas.

Like I said I don't have cable so this is a novelty for me. Buying lots of papers isn't mentioned but it seems to me they can't claim such big savings if they don't consider the cost of all those papers.

I have heard of people stealing the inserts, but don't know any one who ever did it.

While I like the on line coupon sites I don't want to give out my personal information and I'm not prone to lying. Even on these sites.

I watched a couple of shows too and it is really funny. I saw the one where it was twin sister's and they had enough diapers for probably 5 kid's. And neither had chicldren or were married. Crazy

Yeah. It's easy to find coupons for buying certain things in bulk but it's not really stuff you necessary need or want so it ends up seeming like a waste. Most of the time they end up with a closet full of air fresheners.

One woman admitted to spending 50 hrs a week on couponing. Good garden o' peas! I don't have that kind of time. Nor would I think a stay at home mom would.

I do notice they don't say what the person bought on these show either. Well except the one who bought 68 bottles of bbq sauce to give as favors for their renewal of wedding vows party.

Last edited:
One of my friends was really in to couponing for a while. She bought paper, ink, couponing organizers...(thinking none of those things "count" as part of the cost)

She would post/talk about what she would buy. But 90% of what she got was junk good or junk products. She has a child with a medical condition and weight issues, boxes of sugar cereal and high fat snacks are really no deal even if free. Yes paper towels, toilet paper and soap are good things to save on. But bet most of that stuff expires or goes to waste (and waist)

Well that's what I figure too. What good are a bunch of car air fresheners? 'sides I buy a years worth of soap from the lady at the NYS fair cuz I like her homemade soap and she's not much more expensive than some store brands. Plus I like Pachoulli (?) and hers doesn't make me itch. She remembers me cuz I go every year.

Non perishables I can see stocking up on or if you have a freezer and lots of kids and time.

I haven't figured it out. Often when I find a coupon it turns out the store brand is cheaper anyway.... not always, but often.

I don't do extreme couponing but I do check out Target and Walmarts on line coupons. I basically stick to high value ones like $ 2. and up. Sometimes there is some for me but, mostly I see coupons for OTC items with high values, diapers, baby formula, depends, ensure, stuff like that. I don't use any but figure they are expensive and someone can use the coupons. When I'm in the store I place them near the item so someone will benefit from them. I hate to see anyone pay full price. Often when I am doing my own shopping I find someone has been nice enough to leave their extra coupons which I can use. I figure what goes around comes around.

I've seen some of the extreme couponers in the store with a satchel full of coupons - one for every product for their entire cart, believe me you don't want to be in line behind them.

Back
Top Bottom