Allie❤️Chickens

Songster
5 Years
Oct 23, 2017
Van Buren AR
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
My hen was attacked yesterday and we found her in the coop last night with some tail feathers missing so we thought that was the problem. We realized today that it’s not. Pleeeaaase help. What do we need to do and can we even save her? If it would be better for her we’re willing to put her down but we want to try and save her.

Sorry about your hen. It appears that her crop or chest was wounded. Can you look her over to see if her crop is open? That is where the food and water are stored after eating? What do you have at home for disinfecting a wound? Look for any hidden cuts or puncture wounds. How is she acting? If her crop is ripped open, you may need to see a vet.

We have a spray wound care from a feed store from a past injury. Blood is dripping from the wound. She’s moving around quite a bit and ran away from me when I caught her. She’s mostly sitting hunched over. She also got very watery poop running out of her vent.

There's videos on Youtube of people doing home surgery on impacted crops, so I know they're pretty resilient. (Maybe not the best idea, but sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do!) If the crop is punctured, you can probably just suture it back up and possibly suture the skin back up. Keep disinfectant on it and give her some antibiotics for the open wound, and hope for the best. I'd say it's a good sign she made it thru the night.

Sorry about your hen. It appears that her crop or chest was wounded. Can you look her over to see if her crop is open? That is where the food and water are stored after eating? What do you have at home for disinfecting a wound? Look for any hidden cuts or puncture wounds. How is she acting? If her crop is ripped open, you may need to see a vet.
Also we have no vet that can treat chickens where we live.

Vetericyn or a similar wound spray is good to use after the bleeding has stopped. Take some paper towel or gauze and put pressure on the wound for several minutes to see if it stops. Offer some water from a cup. Look at the wound to see if the crop is visible or if it is ripped open. That is most important. The crops can be stitched or glued with supeglue, but there are 2 layers—the crop itself and the skin that covers it. Each one has to be closed separately. If you have an emergency pet hospital nearby, they could probably stitch it closed if need be.

Normally I do not recommend doing crop surgery at home. I would see a vet if possible, but if her crop is open and leaking, then she won’t be able to eat and drink. Do you have Poultry NutriDrench to give her a few drops orally? Here are some videos on crop surgery one with super glue to close crop, and one with stitches:

We sprayed her with the spray we had, and she jumped out of the coop pretty quickly. She’s already been drinking quite a bit. Her wound is just dripping blood but there are no cuts or punctures in her wound that we can see. I can’t do much for her because we have no supplies for surgeries. Hopefully she will be ok and thanks everyone for your help.

Have you checked to see if her crop is punctured or ripped open? Vetericyn, weak betadine, hibiclens or chlorhexide with water, or plain saline is good for wound care. Initially, a kitchen fawcett sprayer can be used to flush or clean out a dirty wound. You may want to pull any feathers over her wounds to get a better look at them. So sorry that she was injured, but I hope that you can help her.

Back
Top Bottom