Extreme loss of feathers

Britestarione

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 4, 2007
I have 20 one year old hens. I did have 5 roosters in with them. Three week ago I was finally able to find a home for 4 of them and only have one in there now. I think that was way too many roosters and that accounted for their loss of feathers, Many of them have most of there backs exposed. That brings me to the next problem. These exposed backs are getting very sunburned. One is especially bad. I have removed her from the coop during the day and put her in a cage that I have in the barn. At night I put her back in the coop to roost. Today when I was out there I noticed that all the hens had her down and were pecking her. I took her out right away and put her in the cage. Can anyone tell me what to do about the sunburn until the feathers come in and are the hens picking on her because I removed her from the group for the daytime?
I feel at a loss.

You might want to get some wound coat. I got mine at the feed mill. Some call it blue coat? The one I got is a pretty shade of purple, LOL Looks great on my white hen, Pancake. ( long story on the name) As far as reintroduceing her to the flock....keep her isolated for a few days, let her heal. The put her in a seperate cage, in the coop, where the others can see her, but not get to her. Maybe a week should do. Then when you let her out, watch closely...make sure she is not getting picked on again!
Good luck!

Last edited:
Britestar.....I wish you all the best of luck...hope this works for you. I have a new Roo coming next week, and 4 new hens....I will have to get them introduced to the flock as well. Hope all goes well!

Justusnak,

I have bought a product called Blue Kote. I haven't used it yet because it says on the bottle"For use on horses and dogs" Do you think it is the same thing. I asked for a product that was used for chickens and this is what they got for me. I could get it in a spray or liquid with a dobber. I chose the liquid. Her back was looking much better, but today it was bright red. I have her back outside in a pasture with a rooster that is also in rehab after he got beat up by one of the other roosters...when I had 5 roosters.

If this product works, I have several hens that could benefit from it. I sure wish I had gotten rid of those roosters sooner.

Thanks for your help.

ef

Britestarione Yes, that will work on your hens. It is a protective coating, toi " hide" the red...so it wont get pecked at. I know it doesnt say chickens specifically...but its ok to use. Good luck, and daub ALL those hens....they will be so pretty! LOL Good luck! Let me know how this works for you...it worked great for my little Pancake hen.

I have to do my hens quite often. They are still picking feathers and irritating the red spots. I feel so bad for them. I wait until dark, when they are on their roosts and spray away. Be careful of their eyes. If you get it on your hands, bleach will take most of it off. Sometimes it's all over my face if the hen flaps her wings. Merry

To spray my hens....I get them all in the coop....then catch them one by one...hold them upside down by the legs...this will cause them to spread thier wings thus makeing it so much easier to spray them. Hope this helps!

Well folks, here I go, dobber in hand. The hen I have in rehab actually asks to be picked up so she should be easy. The others I will do at night when they are on the roost.

I will keep you all posted. And I thank you for all your help.

Earlenne
Sunny Calif. Gold Country

Yikes! That was an experience! That stuff must sting. She was fine to be picked up, but once I started putting it on, she went crazy. I don't know who got the most of it ....her or me. I didn't get to finish and now she won't have a thing to do with me.

I think I will wait a couple days to see how she does before I put it on any of the others. But on the other hand, with all this purple on me, maybe I should go for the look all at once. How long does this stain last? I used a clorex pen and that helped some. At least I didn't get any on my face. My shirt is a total loss. Next time its gloves and a coveralls.

Boy, what we don't do for these chickens.

Earlenne: alias Britestarione

Back
Top Bottom