extreme mortality rate..cornish x from meyer hatchery

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mrs_ed, Feb 24, 2012.

1. mrs_ed

mrs_ed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Phx, AZ
    my 25 meaties, arrived in the mail this morning, 15 of them dead in the box...and another 7 of them have died in the past 12 hrs, I am down to 5 chicks.... this seems absolutely bizzarre to me!!! Has anyone experienced this? Did I go with the worst hatchery ever or was it the post office rough handling? I have been doing everything to help them, dipping their beaks in the water all day. I swear they will seem fine and then 1/2 hr later another 2 or 3 have their legs out straight and are dead. What gives???????? im sooooo frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. bakingintherain

bakingintherain Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    Rochester, VT
    i would call them because imo they are a great company, and i have fantastic birds last year and they even sent extras! good luck

3. mrs_ed

Mar 15, 2010
    Phx, AZ
    i called this morning, she said call back monday morning and give us your total number of loss and they will ship out replacements, i just dont want another box of dead chicks, what a waste, poor things.

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I've had only good experiences with Meyer. Hopefully it was just something that happened to that box during shipment - and the replacement chicks will thrive. I sure pray that's what happens. So sorry you are going through this!

5. VkyVky

VkyVky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Ventura County, CA
    I'm very sorry for your difficulties. God give you peace in your trial.
    I have 5 chickens from Meyer Hatchery. They arrived last June (I'm in So. Cal.) and they were very healthy. They aren't meat birds. I just wanted to say that I was very happy with Meyer Hatchery and I would get chicks from them again.

6. mrs_ed

Mar 15, 2010
    Phx, AZ
    well im down to only 3 now, and only one is active and alert and eating and drinking on his own. so it sounds like it was just a bad batch, I will be hopeful for the replacements.

7. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Most companies will ship replacements or refund :)

Couple questions-
    How long did it take from shipping to "receiving" - days/hours? Can you get some sort of tracking, to see where they "went" and what kind of weather occured?

Did you use any sort of supplement in the water when getting them? Some folks use Apple Cider Vinegar, I like to do a round of "Sav-a-chick" in the water to help replenish electrolytes that might be lost during their trip.

Is the brooder temp good - were the living ones milling about, or were they huddled together?

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I agree with booker81

The hatcheries are at the mercy of the Post Office. Too many days, in far too cold of weather has taken its toll. Shipping in the winter, and yes, there is winter and bitter cold nights between Ohio and Arizona this time of year.

We're getting more and more of these reports. The PO is slowing down due to cost cutting measures. Two days is turning into three and four and the chicks just aren't surviving the long, cold transit times. Ordering from a hatchery farther away increases the difficulty.

Meyers Hatchery is as good as hatcheries get, for the most part.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Are you referring to Meyers Hatchery in O.H. or Meyers Poultry Farm in P.A.?
    If you are referring to Meyers Hatchery in O.H they have been having problems with there chicks dehydrating.

Chris

10. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    I got mine from townline hatchery, and they shipped from MI to FL with no casualties. I have had a pretty healthy bunch considering 8 of them are about to turn one year old next month.

Christal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by