Extreme Temp - Cold Winter - Below Freezing in Chicago Windo Chill -25 - -35. Winds up to 55mph

.... also, I have the whole flock on game bird grower/finisher feed at 22% protein since they started molting. Figure to keep them on it through the winter for energy.
I think that is a good idea. I did that too, especially because I have some pullets with my grown hens. I have 20 % all flock pellets for them. I’m not sure if it’s the best thing to do but I have another feeder with corn, oats and dry peas thinking if they feel they need that they can. Oyster shells too.

Yesterday I gave them extra corn and beef suet. Not a lot of suet but everyone got a tea spoon size full. I’ve noticed when I give suet and even coconut oil they seem to do better with the cold (combs look much better) I worry about giving them too much and causing health problems too but it seems to really help on these cold days. Maybe that is not a good idea? I’m not completely sure, but I’m going to continue giving it to them when it’s cold. I make my own from rendering beef fat.

Sortof off topic, but I've been watching my roosters and cockerels while everyone is locked in the coop. It's interesting that they do not fuss and fight with each other when confined. I don't know why that is! Let them out in the run (warmer weather than it is now, of course) and they're off to chase each other and declare dominance, or try to. This morning, all five of them were within a couple feet of each other, doing just FINE. Two were even cuddled together near a window, soaking up the solar heat, and two more eating side-by-side. SMH.

I have 41 hens, so the ratio of hens/roosters is about 8:1. In my experience, that's been too much. I dunno, maybe it just depends on the personality of the roosters and I've just had some feisty boys in the past - or the current peace is due to the top roo, Goldie 2yo, who is just a very attentive and responsible guy - or the fact that two of the boys are under still under 20 weeks of age.

I don't want to cull any of them, but expected that I would need to. Still waiting for that moment to be forced into taking one or two out. But for the moment, all is well and I guess I'll just see how it goes. None of my hens are showing wear on their backs, so they're not overworked and the boys aren't fighting, sooo...

Sortof off topic, but I've been watching my roosters and cockerels while everyone is locked in the coop. It's interesting that they do not fuss and fight with each other when confined. I don't know why that is! Let them out in the run (warmer weather than it is now, of course) and they're off to chase each other and declare dominance, or try to. This morning, all five of them were within a couple feet of each other, doing just FINE. Two were even cuddled together near a window, soaking up the solar heat, and two more eating side-by-side. SMH.

I have 41 hens, so the ratio of hens/roosters is about 8:1. In my experience, that's been too much. I dunno, maybe it just depends on the personality of the roosters and I've just had some feisty boys in the past - or the current peace is due to the top roo, Goldie 2yo, who is just a very attentive and responsible guy - or the fact that two of the boys are under still under 20 weeks of age.

I don't want to cull any of them, but expected that I would need to. Still waiting for that moment to be forced into taking one or two out. But for the moment, all is well and I guess I'll just see how it goes. None of my hens are showing wear on their backs, so they're not overworked and the boys aren't fighting, sooo...
They must know survival time isn’t the time to show off. That is funny and good for you not to have added rooster drama right now.

Back
Top Bottom