extremely odd egg, possible lash egg?

I agree on the lash egg, if she doesn’t seem uncomfortable, you could let her continue on until she takes a turn for the worse, then cull her. They can have decent quality of life for a while, even after laying a lash egg like that. That is quite elderly for an ISA so it’s not too surprising. I try to base decisions like that on the quality of life and if the hen appears to be in any pain, rather than solely on age or an indication of a disease.
I agree with you. If you are as attached to your girls as I am, what is best for the hen comes first!

thank you for asking and thank you to everyone for all the hopeful posts! i’m so glad i decided to give her a chance. i’ve been giving her extra calcium that i make into a slurry and dose orally followed by liquid penicillin (it’s what i had access to) and she’s been her normal happy self! she laid another odd egg, this one was shell-less. but other than that she’s been a okay. eating, drinking, pooping all normally. i’m hopeful she’ll fully recover. there was never any swelling or odd behavior. if she never lays an egg again that’s fine by me so long as she stays happy and comfortable. thanks again to everyone for the support, advice, shared stories, and concern!!
Actually, the shell-less egg is a good sign; it shows that her reproductive tract is working and isn't blocked up! Just a note, all three of my hens that died of reproductive problems just stopped laying altogether. No lash eggs, no soft shelled eggs...they just stopped laying, their abdomens swelled huge, and eventually they stopped eating. So, everything that you're saying about your hen is very, very good!:hugs

Also, I don't know your location but the temps are terrible lately! I'm in Florida and we've hit 102°F in the hottest time of the day, with horrible humidity as well. Just saying 'cause heat stress is a real thing for chickens, especially laying and older hens. Some hens will stop laying during the hottest times, but those that continue to lay while under stress will sometimes have some wonky eggs (one of mine lays with excess calcium spots).

thank you for asking and thank you to everyone for all the hopeful posts! i’m so glad i decided to give her a chance. i’ve been giving her extra calcium that i make into a slurry and dose orally followed by liquid penicillin (it’s what i had access to) and she’s been her normal happy self! she laid another odd egg, this one was shell-less. but other than that she’s been a okay. eating, drinking, pooping all normally. i’m hopeful she’ll fully recover. there was never any swelling or odd behavior. if she never lays an egg again that’s fine by me so long as she stays happy and comfortable. thanks again to everyone for the support, advice, shared stories, and concern!!
How's your hen doing? I'm hoping that it all turned out ok! :hugs

Awww! I'm so happy to hear that! It's been about 2 weeks so if she hasn't started showing signs of any swelling/sickness by now, she's probably fine. Yay!:celebrate We're almost to Fall season, so maybe a good 'ole molt will give her system a break too.

Back
Top Bottom