Extremely sick chick, syringe feeding-- how much and how often?

kwinnypoo

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 28, 2012

I know that this might be a lost cause, but I need to at least try.

My box of chicks came in the mail yesterday morning, they had hard travels, 50+ hours without food/water/heat in transit.

2 were dead on arrival, and a few others were on their way out the door. 5 have died in total so far-- but the 6th is hanging on... She is a Silver Laced Wyandotte (we think) and has quite the spirit.

Finally in the evening time, I decided that I was going to try to syringe feed her some fluids, she had slept the entire day, and I was afraid that she may die of dehydration as opposed to what's ailing her.

I syringe fed probably no more than 3mL's in the evening.

This morning I woke up (without syringing her all night) and looked into her box. (She has been segregated from the rest of the 30+ chicks, for fear she would be trampled and smothered) Upon looking in, I noticed what I thought was her corpse, in awful contorted position. I picked her up to dispose of her, when she moved!

I immediately syringed 1-1.5mL's of fluid. The fluid is a sugar water Quik Chik vitamin mix.

My next fluid mash I am going to make, now that I am concerned about starvation, is the sugar/vitamin water mix, with all-purp poultry feed mixed in, creating a mash, of which I can syringe feed her.

About how often should I be attending to her? And how much should she intake at one time, I would hate to over feed her and cause more harm.

If she doesn't make pep up today, she will perish tomorrow.. I won't be home to nurse her. Hoping she'll be well enough to eat/drink on her own by this evening.

(Pardon the nail polish in the photos-- my 4 year old painted my nails, lol!)

Kristin

I would feed her every couple hours. Feel her crop while you are doing it. Once it feels 'full', quit. If you are feeding a mash, she will not need so much water. She will get water from the food. Just a little to wash out her mouth will do. I hope she responds...it seems that chicks have a hard time recovering from a chill.

She is getting the all-purp poultry feed soaked in the sugar/vitamin/water concotion. Crop even fills with water?

I've been nursing sick chickens and once you start feeding the mash, mixed food with liquid, their water consumption needs go to nothing. They will get all the liquid they need from the food. If it makes you feel better, you could give it a couple drops. At that age, they don't drink a whole lot at once anyway.

hi kwinnypoo,
honestly hope she gets better,poor baby.
wish were a neighbour of mine because woud have grabbed the chance at nursing her whilst are not in the house.

am in the same situation with a week old chick,she quickly deteriorated this evening,made up a liquid mash; with bit of garlic powder as its all we have in terms of healing properties and she is responding to the syringe,cant physicaly get out till tomorow morning to get any supplies.
he.gif

sending heavyweight healing vibes to both our babies!

That's a great suggestion...is there anyone who will chick sit for you?????
hi kwinnypoo,
honestly hope she gets better,poor baby.
wish were a neighbour of mine because woud have grabbed the chance at nursing her whilst are not in the house.

am in the same situation with a week old chick,she quickly deteriorated this evening,made up a liquid mash; with bit of garlic powder as its all we have in terms of healing properties and she is responding to the syringe,cant physicaly get out till tomorow morning to get any supplies.
he.gif

sending heavyweight healing vibes to both our babies!

Sadly, she passed today... We left her unattended for a few hours only, so I suspect she would have passed anyways... :(

Back
Top Bottom