Extremely urgent! Severe peck wound

I cannot believe it's an injury from the fence.

I have two rescues being slowly introduced to my ducks. After 2 weeks isolation in my Florida room, they are now coming out into a temporary dog exercise pen on my patio. The bars are barely wider than my ducks' beaks. yet I heard a commotion and went to check and one of my pekins had his whole head and neck through the bars [with the two newcomers pecking him furiously.] My duck looked like he had stuck his head and neck through three gaps run together, but no he had managed to get through just one gap in the bars. It was very difficult to get him back through the gap it was so narrow. But when I got him back, he came for a quiet sit with me for 10 minutes but was then 100% back to normal. No wounds on his head, neck or shoulders. Something else happened to your duckling. Is there a dog around?
the original wound is what we thought was from the fence, as some baby chicks will get stuck but this is def a peck wound. There are dogs around, but he was the only one injured. (plus if a dog had gotten him I think the wound would be a lot bigger considering the duck is small)

the original wound is what we thought was from the fence, as some baby chicks will get stuck but this is def a peck wound. There are dogs around, but he was the only one injured. (plus if a dog had gotten him I think the wound would be a lot bigger considering the duck is small)
Poor boy. He needs to be kept quietly until it is healed and then cautiously re-integrated with the other ducklings

How's he doing? I really can't tell anything from the pics. I'd just keep triple antibiotic ointment on it and watch him.

How's he doing? I really can't tell anything from the pics. I'd just keep triple antibiotic ointment on it and watch him.
He seems to be doing fine, eating and drinking normally. He doesn't make much noise unless we lift the lid of his bin up (which we only do to check on the wound and feed/water him).

Are you letting him out for swim time? He needs some exercise -- away from possible attack by the other ducks. I currently have two drakes that need to be kept separately from my flock because of aggression. I picked up a second wading pool for them and keep them penned away from the others. Your guy could be allowed out to move around a separate penned area.

I have every hope he will now heal up just fine if he is doing well at this stage

Last edited:
Are you letting him out for swim time? He needs some exercise -- away from possible attack by the other ducks. I currently have two drakes that need to be kept separately from my flock because of aggression. I picked up a second wading pool for them and keep them penned away from the others. Your guy could be allowed out to move around a separate penned area.

I have every hope he will now heal up just fine if he is doing well at this stage
he's not too big and his wound is still fairly open so we haven't in fear it would hurt him.

Back
Top Bottom