Extremely weird shell-less egg.

gizachick

In the Brooder
May 24, 2020
My 1-year old Easter Egger (Paisley) regularly lays shell-less, thin shelled and over-calcified eggs. I really have no idea why. She’s been laying for 6-7 months and has 3 flock-mates who enjoy the same exact environment and diet as her (12x8 enclosed run, 4x6 coop, layer pellets, free-choice oyster shell and always fresh water) with no problem eggs. Paisley lays 90% “imperfect” eggs.

Today she laid a shell-less and yolk-less egg, but there was a sort of mass inside that looked like an additional membrane with a green/white firm but gelatinous deposit. It was extremely weird and frankly gross. I didn’t think to take a photo of the inside before I disposed of it, but I have included a photo of the outside. Ideas? A25ADD2E-95B5-4D56-926B-515C9D26C1E6.jpeg

Last edited:
My 1-year old Easter Egger (Paisley) regularly lays shell-less, thin shelled and over-calcified eggs. I really have no idea why. She’s been laying for 6-7 months and has 3 flock-mates who enjoy the same exact environment and diet as her (12x8 enclosed run, 4x6 coop, layer pellets, free-choice oyster shell and always fresh water) with no problem eggs. Paisley lays 90% “imperfect” eggs.

Today she laid a shell-less and yolk-less egg, but there was a sort of mass inside that looked like an additional membrane with a green/white firm but gelatinous deposit. It was extremely weird and frankly gross. I didn’t think to take a photo of the inside before I disposed of it, but I have included a photo of the outside. Ideas?View attachment 2158607
Are the other chickens bullying her to where she can’t get much food? Usually weird eggs have to do with a nutritional deficiency, most commonly a calcium deficiency. What kind of feed are you giving them? Maybe consider throwing in some extra calcium such as crushed oyster shell or dumping powdered dried egg shell in their feeder over their feed. My chickens lay wacky eggs a lot. Sometimes I get eggs with no shells.

I had one older Buff Orpington that consistently layed soft shelled eggs. I never could figure out what was up with her and I finally culled. I hope you can get your girl straightened out.

Today she laid a shell-less and yolk-less egg, but there was a sort of mass inside that looked like an additional membrane with a green/white firm but gelatinous deposit. It was extremely weird and frankly gross. I didn’t think to take a photo of the inside before I disposed of it, but I have included a photo of the outside. Ideas?View attachment 2158607
Oh and one thing that didn’t hit me until now. Make sure the chickens are safe and aren’t being scared or threatened at night. Over excited chickens can lay wacky eggs.

Oh and one thing that didn’t hit me until now. Make sure the chickens are safe and aren’t being scared or threatened at night. Over excited chickens can lay wacky eggs.
Their coop is secure. I couldn’t really say if any predators are coming by to heckle them at night... none of the others seem bothered if so.

Are the other chickens bullying her to where she can’t get much food? Usually weird eggs have to do with a nutritional deficiency, most commonly a calcium deficiency. What kind of feed are you giving them? Maybe consider throwing in some extra calcium such as crushed oyster shell or dumping powdered dried egg shell in their feeder over their feed. My chickens lay wacky eggs a lot. Sometimes I get eggs with no shells.
Based on my observations, she is middle of the pecking order. She’s also the most outgoing of the chickens. I’ve never seen anyone pecking her or pushing her around. The chickens eat Dumor layer pellets, they have free-choice oyster shell and I add crushed egg shells to the fermented scratch that they get twice a week. I don’t want to add extra calcium to the regular feed because the other hens have healthy shells already.

I had one older Buff Orpington that consistently layed soft shelled eggs. I never could figure out what was up with her and I finally culled. I hope you can get your girl straightened out.
Thanks! I may try to isolate her in case she’s ill or something. I hope I don’t need to cull her!

but there was a sort of mass inside that looked like an additional membrane with a green/white firm but gelatinous deposit. It was extremely weird and frankly gross. I didn’t think to take a photo of the inside before I disposed of it, but I have included a photo of the outside.
Oh, Too Bad!!
That can really help.

Back
Top Bottom