Eye bubble

JAR26

Songster
Mar 3, 2019
New-Brunswick Canada
Hello, one of my 2.5 year old Bovin brown hasnt been herself for the past week (maybe more since they hide things well). She seems to be isolating herself a bit, not as active but still eats and drinks and is interested in treats. She stands with her neck close to her body and her tail down a little bit almost as if she was cold (I know she isn't but it just looks like it). I isolated her today so I could see if she is laying and pooping normally. I also noticed she was shaking her head regularly and today I saw why. She has a bubble that protrudes between her right eye and nose when she breaths and this seems to be what is bothering her/making her shake her head. She doesnt have any nose or eye discharge that I can see. Anybody ever see this before? The video is very short but you can see it pop in and out twice.
Thanks!

Now that you have her isolated, remove her food and water after dusk and check her crop first thing in the morning to see if it's empty. It looks very large and her high stride and head shakes could be her effort to move it.
What do her poops look like?
When did she last lay?

Now that you have her isolated, remove her food and water after dusk and check her crop first thing in the morning to see if it's empty. It looks very large and her high stride and head shakes could be her effort to move it.
What do her poops look like?
When did she last lay?
I just isolated her so not sure about laying or poop yet but will check this morning. She has had her crop impacted in the past and since then it's been enlarged/droopy a bit but I def will remove food and water tonight and take a look tomorrow morning.

I agree, I would check her crop first thing in the morning. Her stance and the way she walks reminds me of a bird with sour crop. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Have you looked inside her beak for mucous, obstruction, canker?
Do look her over for lice/mites too.

Have you ever had respiratory illness in your flock? Added any new birds recently?
Never had respiratory issues in the past and no new birds recently. I will check inside her beak today! Thx

So no impacted crop, she eats and drinks and poops normally. No eggs but that's not abnornal as she is one of my older birds that wouldnt lay as often anymore. So it leaves this eye bubble thing. What could that be ? Sinus issues?

So no impacted crop, she eats and drinks and poops normally. No eggs but that's not abnornal as she is one of my older birds that wouldnt lay as often anymore. So it leaves this eye bubble thing. What could that be ? Sinus issues?
She has had her crop impacted in the past and since then it's been enlarged/droopy a bit
So her crop was completely empty/flat this morning?
You mention the crop has been enlarged/droopy from past impacted crop - she may benefit from a crop bra to help the contents to empty.
How old is she? Even if she's older, not laying eggs for a while can often indicate some type of reproductive disorder. Cancer, EYP, tumors, etc. are common in laying hens.

She may have something respiratory going on as well. You can try an antibiotic to see if that makes any difference. Ask your vet what they recommend.

Back
Top Bottom