Eye closed after a squabble

cozycoop1314

Songster
5 Years
Jan 6, 2017
Holland, MI
So my top of the pecking order girl randomly today just decided to pick on our bottom of the order girl. I cannot figure out why. (Side question, could this be bc she's close to laying at all ?)

Well the picked on chicken is now holding 1 eye closed. When she opens it occasionally it looks just fine. She was in the corner for a bit sortof hiding. I held her a bit, when she got down, they had a little kerfuffle which is I'm sure what the cause of this was in the first place. I separated the one who was picking on her.

What do I do?? Should I keep her separated? Should I just wait to see if the picked on girl perks up after a bit or should I be doing something more right now?

IMO separate the bully if no one else is causing problems.

If the eye looks normal, likely she has a corneal abrasion and those are quite painful - and if so, then it will heal without treatment. But if you see the eye redden or have drainage, she would need eye antibiotic drops or ointment.

This thread should be under emergencies forum, I' sent a message to a staff member to ask them to move it for you.

Thank you! I'm not used to the new format yet so I disn't even realize where it posted.

She seems to be opening it up a bit more often now. Not keeping open for long but more often. I know it's from that bc there's the slightest scratch near her eye so I'm sure thats it. Thank you!

I only have 3 chickens & they usually are all so cool with each other, so it's weird how my top dog is seeming to want to pick on her today out of nowhere. Can't figure out why!

Thank you! I'm not used to the new format yet so I disn't even realize where it posted.

She seems to be opening it up a bit more often now. Not keeping open for long but more often. I know it's from that bc there's the slightest scratch near her eye so I'm sure thats it. Thank you!

I only have 3 chickens & they usually are all so cool with each other, so it's weird how my top dog is seeming to want to pick on her today out of nowhere. Can't figure out why!

Glad she's doing better.
How old are your 3 and what are their breeds?

They are about 5.5 months old.
Top of the pecking order is our Easter Egger(not yet laying), then our Buff Orpington (already laying), then our Barred Rock (already laying).

Now she seems to be keeping her eye mostly open. Yay! But I am hesitant to put them back together bc I have no idea why my EE is being a jerk to her today!

They are about 5.5 months old.
Top of the pecking order is our Easter Egger(not yet laying), then our Buff Orpington (already laying), then our Barred Rock (already laying).

Now she seems to be keeping her eye mostly open. Yay! But I am hesitant to put them back together bc I have no idea why my EE is being a jerk to her today!

So glad she's better -

I would go ahead and try to place her back in the flock - the longer she is out, the more difficult the reintegration will be ( see link to my article on Penny's Plight" in my signature below.

Have a water hose or a water spray bottle, or a can of marbles/rocks ready to break up any real aggression. If you don't see any issues after a short while, then likely they'll be ok. In my experience the conflicts occur even with you standing close by.

Are you positive the EE is a pullet?

I got them all at the same time as babies, so age I'm 100% on. Pretty certain she's a female. No signs of rooster behavior. She's the leader so she definitely takes charge but she has only the 1 Ridge in her comb.

I think she's maybe just re-exerting her status as she's getting close to laying. She was a bit pushy and bossy with our middle girl last night as I watched them eat, not picking on her as much as she was our bottom gal but, definitely seems to be pecking order stuff.

They all roasted like little snugglers last night, with her wiggling herself into our bottom girls feathers & getting cozy like she always does. So seems much more pecking order than true random aggression.

They all roasted like little snugglers last night, with her wiggling herself into our bottom girls feathers & getting cozy like she always does. So seems much more pecking order than true random aggression.

So, you put her back in last night and all is well again - I misread the "hesitant" to mean weren't gonna put her back in :oops:.

Glad things are back to normal and EE is a she :) Likely it is her hormonal changes - and maybe some fear of losing the #1 position.

I did in the coop bc they just roost all night. This morning she's a pushy bugger again, so I divided the yard & have her on her own for a bit to maybe check her ego a bit!

Watching her with our middle girl yesterday & she was a bit pushy with her too (not as much but definitely a bit bossy with her)...so probably those darn hormonal changes has her feeling different and feeling the need to throworry her weight around.

Sheesh, these chickens! It's like have extra kids fighting over toys lol

Back
Top Bottom