Eye infection or same attack as my other hen?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I’ve had a hen attacked twice recently, her top eye lid was swollen and her chest to nearly under her wing was bleeding. But now my other hen Garlic has a huge bump on her eye and what looks like her second eyelid ripped and hanging out. Is it an infection or from an attack? How do I treat an eye injury?

The no fluffy cheek hen was the first attack, I had a different thread on her. Garlic is the fluffy cheeks

Attachments

• IMG_5136.jpeg
    IMG_5136.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5137.jpeg
    IMG_5137.jpeg
    365.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4734.jpeg
    IMG_4734.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 6
Do you know what's attacking your birds?
You may need to secure your coop/run.

Looks like injury to me.
General care is to flush the eye with saline, gently remove any debris or pus, then apply an eye ointment like Terramcyin into the eye.

Do you know what's attacking your birds?
You may need to secure your coop/run.

Looks like injury to me.
General care is to flush the eye with saline, gently remove any debris or pus, then apply an eye ointment like Terramcyin into the eye.
We don’t have a run, they free range. They’re closed at night and I know it’s not a bird, our dog was barking at it. It’s either a fox which we’ve never had in this area of our neighborhood or the people who just moved in a few houses down dog. Maybe even the neighbors cat. It’s the fact that her front is injured no missing tail or back feathers that's confusing me, cayenne also showed up in the neighbors yard which she cannot get into due to snow but no feathers from a struggle… same with garlic no feathers

Get or borrow a game camera, set it up so you can id whatever is getting to your birds. Knowing what it is will help determine how to stop it. When free ranging you cannot prevent every predator loss, it's part of the risk of free ranging. If the risk is not acceptable then you will need to provide them with a secured run to prevent it.
Most house cats, unless they are very feral, won't mess with a full sized standard chicken. I have a lot of feral cats around, they sometimes watch my chickens, but none have ever gone after them.
Dogs will sometimes 'play' with them, causing injury or death.
Hawks, eagles, owls, other flying predators can come and go leaving no signs.

I figured out what it is. I asked neighbors who own chickens and despite not liking residential area I am certain it’s an ermine. A fellow chicken owner in this neighborhood had one kill multiple of her pullets, It probably attacked from the front when the hens attacked it while it was stealing eggs which have also been going missing. Which would also explain why I never saw foot prints and all of them are still alive. We’re going to set a live trap in the barn, I’ll let you guys know once we catch something

Get or borrow a game camera, set it up so you can id whatever is getting to your birds. Knowing what it is will help determine how to stop it. When free ranging you cannot prevent every predator loss, it's part of the risk of free ranging. If the risk is not acceptable then you will need to provide them with a secured run to prevent it.
Most house cats, unless they are very feral, won't mess with a full sized standard chicken. I have a lot of feral cats around, they sometimes watch my chickens, but none have ever gone after them.
Dogs will sometimes 'play' with them, causing injury or death.
Hawks, eagles, owls, other flying predators can come and go leaving no signs.
I figured it out with help last night! At least I’m almost positive we did. We will setup cameras in our barn and a live trap. Thank you though!

Back
Top Bottom