:( Eye injury or respiritory?

antheat

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 10, 2008
Okmulgee
Henny Penny survived the dog attack (she's a 3 year old New Hamp) - so this past weekend I cleaned her up and reintegrated her into the flock. That all went fine. Yesterday I saw that she wasn't looking so perky (I've been keeping a close eye on her) - so I thought maybe I'd brought her back into the flock too soon, and thought about caging her again for another week. This morning, her left eye is closed. It looks sort of crusty. I don't see any discharge in the other eye, no sign of discharge from the nostrils. She's eating well still.

Advice on how to treat?

I was wondering if I washed her eye with salt water and put on some triple antibiotic if that would be okay, or if I should rather treat with Terramycin or Lincomycin or Pen-G (injectable) which is what I have on hand.

I'll separate her tonight into a cage by herself as well.

thanks in advance

Anthea

Since she was in a dog attack, which is a very good way to get an infection if skin was broken and bird was stress out from it, antibiotics may be a good course of action in this case. My guess is that the eye injury/ respiratory infection is a secondary infection due to stress of the attack. Nonetheless, keep an eye on her. Maybe someone has a better idea of what best to do.

Eye still has bubbling liquid in it. Could this be MG?

I have Tylan 50 injectable on hand - should I go ahead and put everyone on a preventative antibiotic or wait until there are signs of it?

I have chicks that will be coming in soon and eggs that I have incubating, so this is not good.

The dog attack was over 3 weeks ago - she was integrated into the flock last Sunday - and it was 2 days ago that I saw her eye had bubby liquid in it. It seems to come and go, which is very odd.

Anthea

I posted to Peter Brown last night regarding another person's chicken with the eye thing and this is his response regarding a swollen eye with bubbling:

Hey Jean:

I have seen this many times before. The underlying causes are many. Things such as E.coli, Pseudomonas,Coryza, Bronchitis,etc.

I would Nasal Flush the bird using Oxine or Tylan 50 with sterile water. I would then apply either eye drops or eye ointment to the eye several times daily.

DIRECTIONS FOR TREATING SINUSITIS WITH SWOLLEN EYES

NASAL FLUSH USING TYLAN 50 OR LA-200

USING 12 CC’S OF STERILE WATER ADD 2 CC OF TYLAN 50 OR 1 CC OF LA-200 AND THEN FLUSH EACH NOSTRIL( USING A SYRINGE WITH THE NEEDLE REMOVED ) WITH 3 TO 4 CC’S TWICE PER DAY FOR 5 TO 7 DAYS. THE BIRDS HEAD SHOULD BE HELD DOWN SO AS NOT TO SWALLOW TO MUCH OF THE TYLAN SOLUTION.

FOLLOW THE FLUSHING WITH VET-RX SQUIRTED LIBERALLY INTO EACH NOSTRIL. DO THIS AFTER EACH FLUSHING.

USING THE EYE OINTMENTS IS A CRITICAL PART OF GETTING THE SWELLING TO GO DOWN. USE THE EYE OINTMENT EVERY 2 TO 3 HOURS DURING THE DAY IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. YOU SHOULD USE IT AT LEAST TWICE PER DAY. START IN ONE CORNER OF THE EYE AND LAY DOWN A SMALL STRIP OF THE EYE OINTMENT FROM ONE CORNER OF THE EYE TO THE OTHER CORNER OF THE EYE.

IT MAY ALSO BE HELPFUL TO FLUSH THE EYE ONCE PER DAY WITH AN OVER THE COUNTER HUMAN EYE WASH THAT IS BORIC ACID BASED AND THEN PROCEED WITH THE NASAL FLUSHING AS DESCRIBED ABOVE. THE EYE WASHES ARE READILY AVAILABLE IN ALL DRUG STORES.

IT MAY BE NECESSARY TO USE MORE POWERFUL ANTIBIOTICS TO CURE THIS SWOLLEN EYE PROBLEM. IF YOU ARE NOT MAKING PROGRESS , PLEASE CALL ME SO THAT WE MAY DISCUSS YOUR SITUATION AND MAKE ANY NECESSARY CHANGES.

TYLAN 50 OR LA-200 - 2 TO 3 DROPS DIRECTLY INTO THE EYE TWICE A DAY FOLLOWED BY THE EYE OINTMENT TWICE PER DAY FOR 5 TO 7 DAYS

CILOXAN EYE DROPS GIVEN AT THE RATE OF 2 TO 3 DROPS IN THE AFFECTED EYE 2 TO 3 TIMES A DAY FOR 5 TO 7 DAYS

Ciprofloxacin Eye drops or Chloramphenicol Eye Ointment available in the online store on this site.

This should take care of the problem.

Keep us posted if you will.

Keep em Healthy,

Doc​

I couldn't get any sterile water so I just injected the Tylan 50 - 1/2cc and put some triple antibiotic on her eye- she's clearing up nicely
smile.png

Anthea

Back
Top Bottom