Eye Problem in 3 Week Old Chick

hotheidishens

Hatching
10 Years
May 23, 2009
San Francisco
My baby Brabanter has small pink swollen bumps above her eyes and towards her beak. The swelling looks the same on both sides. One eye has been a tad watery and she wants to close it, but other than that she doesn't have any other symptoms - no discharge, yucky smell, bubbly stuff or crust. She is in a box with pine shaving bedding and 3 other chicks the same age. Could she have possibly got some of the bedding in her eyes? She does have a tendency to scratch her head often. I'm just wondering if she irritated them or if it's maybe something more serious.

I started flushing out her eyes with sterile saline and putting some neosporin in them. Fingers crossed that this works. Any other advice? Should I separate her from the others? They really hate it when I do that, even if it's just for a few minutes so I'm hesitant to do it unless I really think she's sick.

Thanks BYCers!
Heidi

Hello, sorry you are having troubles. Look up and read about Coryza and see if this sounds like what is going on. You can find it online under Common Poultry Diseases. Also, have these birds been outside? Check for any parasites (mites, lice). Look at the birds vent and see of you see anything that could be a parasitic issue. I'm not sure what it could be. Hopefully someone else will chime in. PM dlhunicorn. She is very knowledgeable. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I just finished reading about it and it really doesn't seem to fit. Everything appears normal, well as normal as a rooster could possibly be. I have hens in with him and non of them are showing signs of this.

Yes, they are all outside. I have a house, a coop and recently have been letting them free range during the day for grass. I've noticed this for a few weeks, it didn't look like goop until yesturday. It was originally a small white spec in the corner of his eye, I just thought it was something normal.

My rooster seems to have had previous eye damage, before I got him. The pupil is very small compared to his other eye and it would appear half closed. I'll try to take a picture when I get home today. I hope it's nothing contageous. I'll have to clean the coop again to see if that will help.

Keep the suggestions coming...please!
smile.png

i don't think it's coryza because there is no smelly discharge. and she doesn't have any signs of parasites. i check the chicks butts daily and they are all fine.

the eye flush and neosporin seem to be helping... i think. she's not closing her eye anymore. the swelling is where i would assume a chicken's sinuses would be, but she doesn't have any drainage or anything. that's why i'm wondering if she just gave herself some sort of weird eye infection from scratching.

ok, maybe she does have signs of mites? some of her feathers were matted and dusty. could that affect her eye?

well she's peeping and seems reasonably well on other counts. i'm so confused
hmm.png

Doesn't sound like Coryza to me I just had to baby get that and with in two days the smell was horrid. Other than that I can't be of much help hopes all turn out well.

sorry, i need to bump this thread. my baby's eye is not really improving after 2 days of treatment and i'm desperate to figure out what's wrong. anybody out there look at the pics and have any ideas? it's not getting any worse either. should i just continue with my saline flush / neosporin treatment?

thanks folk!

Back
Top Bottom