Eye problems

jakmallex

Songster
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
NC
I have a 4 day old white silkie chick who has something wrong with its eyes. It's eyes have been closed a little more than the others since I got it, but today they were closed even more and looked a little puffy. In the photo the chick is the one on the far right. What is wrong with it and what can I do to help it? It's not being picked on by the other chicks and seems to be healthy except for the eyes.

_MG_9200small.jpg

Have you checked to see if it is blind. I had a chick like this who is now 11 days old. When she was 3 days old I took a piece of red ribbon and when I placed it in the pen the other chicks reacted or ran when I put it near. She had no reaction. I have since taken out the feeders and watering thing and have made it ADA chicken friendly. They eat from a metal cake pan that has ramps and I found a low lipped large wooden bowl for water so she can walke into it. All is well and she knows where things are and is doing well. Just a thought?

It doesn't seem to be blind. One eye looks better since I separated it from the rest of the chicks (except for 1 friend that does not pick on it). I noticed that one of the big chicks did peck it's eye this morning. The other eye is still swollen. The chick also seems to lose balance easily.

Not that it's an eye infection, but for this chick or any animal eye irriation or infection you can get Terramycin antibotic ointment at Tractor Supply. It doesn't require any prescription, but some stores may keep it locked up, ours did. If so you'll see an empty box there on the shelf that you'll give to the cashier, then she'll ring you up from the box upc, then go get the small 1/8 oz from the back. It's about the size of a orajel tiny tube. But is full prescription strength. It's the same medicine the Vet gave me to put in my cat's eyes after picking him up from his neutering. (cats recover from anesthesia slowly, so he needed the gel cuz they won't blink as usual, so the terramycin ointment kept his eyes hydrated). When I got a tube I think it was around $10. but can possibly be as high as maybe $15. It'd be worth a try for the little guy. An eye infection left untreated 'could' end up causing blindness. Hope he's better soon, such a cute little bunch of chicks!
smile.png

Here's a pic:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p_80_FS32906P.jpg

Thanks for the info. I have some Terramycin around the house that I can give it. I've been irrigating the eye with sterile saline and putting some sterile lubricant in there. It appears to be a little better this morning, less swelling.

Back
Top Bottom