Eye problems?

Cward011

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 13, 2014
Ok guys ! Let me start off by saying, this forum and group has been a tremendous help for me!! I would have no idea what to do with my new babies.

So the chick from the other day died at the vets, they gave him meds and fluids but didn't make it. :(

I have a new problem. Lol! As shown in the picture another one of my chicks has some weird gunk around it's eye...should I be concerned?

Thanks to those who help us new parents!!

That is bad news about your baby.
sad.png

Did the vet tell you what was wrong with the little guy?

If you posted a picture, it didn't appear...

Dried blood or mites, I can't tell from the pic. If you have more peas in the pen I might think it was picked on.

My vet is always concerned about stress killing birds, her opinion is that a lot of vets don't like to deal with birds, especially peas, because they stress out easily and die on the exam table. I can attest that I have lost three that died while I was giving shots.

The vet said they normally do not do birds either, but tried to help. I guess they could see my distress. Lol.

The chick is with another baby. Should I separate? What would mites look like? Should I be concerned? The babies are in the house.

I blew the pic up as well as I could and it looks like blood to me. Peas have a habit of picking food off each others beak and sometimes will damage each other that way. You could put some Neosporin, the kind with out the pain killer, around the eye.

My vet is always concerned about stress killing birds, her opinion is that a lot of vets don't like to deal with birds, especially peas, because they stress out easily and die on the exam table. I can attest that I have lost three that died while I was giving shots.
Yikes I am sure I put my peas through some stress when I caught them up and put stuff on them to kill the mites. I hope none of mine ever die from that. I do get worried when it takes me a while to catch one because I worry about it being stressed for too long. Wow I can just imagine treating green peafowl or high % spaldings...
I will have to keep that in mind when I catch my peas. If any of them were to die from stress it would probably be my pied Damsel. She has always been a little on the spooky side.

Back
Top Bottom