Eye started bubbly, now scabbed shut... any insight please?

Yimyette

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 13, 2016
Hey im new posting here
smile.png

So i have this 10 week old girl who, about 4 days ago, started having a swollen and very bubbly eye. Well we went ahead and started treating it with this ointment and were going to wait a few days to see if it gets better. Her eye kept drying shut so i would take a warm rag and wipe it til it opened a little.

But then a couple days after that, i was hand feeding our chicks grapes, annnnd her sister accidentally somehow missed the grape and hooked onto that very eye, tearing the corner of her bottom eyelid it seems. Which was a little bloody :\ (never hand feeding grapes again)

So then i started applying "Vetericyn Plus Poultry Care" spray to the wound to help with that.

Now i woke up this morning (2 days after the grape incident) and it looks like the scabs from the tear have really shut her eye. Any advice on anything i could do? I'm considering taking her to our vet if i must, but the lady on the phone said the vet doesn't necessarily do avian care but will still take a look. I guess i could also note that shes also noticeably smaller than her sister lol

I am still a fairly new chicken owner so i hope to gain more knowledge from this maybe, thanks for your time ^-^
(red arrow is where she was pecked)

Hey im new posting here
smile.png

So i have this 10 week old girl who, about 4 days ago, started having a swollen and very bubbly eye. Well we went ahead and started treating it with this ointment and were going to wait a few days to see if it gets better. Her eye kept drying shut so i would take a warm rag and wipe it til it opened a little.

But then a couple days after that, i was hand feeding our chicks grapes, annnnd her sister accidentally somehow missed the grape and hooked onto that very eye, tearing the corner of her bottom eyelid it seems. Which was a little bloody :\ (never hand feeding grapes again)

So then i started applying "Vetericyn Plus Poultry Care" spray to the wound to help with that.

Now i woke up this morning (2 days after the grape incident) and it looks like the scabs from the tear have really shut her eye. Any advice on anything i could do? I'm considering taking her to our vet if i must, but the lady on the phone said the vet doesn't necessarily do avian care but will still take a look. I guess i could also note that shes also noticeably smaller than her sister lol

I am still a fairly new chicken owner so i hope to gain more knowledge from this maybe, thanks for your time ^-^
(red arrow is where she was pecked)
Welcome to BYC.

Initially the eye was bubbly/foamy and swollen. Did she have any other symptoms with that? (coughing, sneezing, runny nose, wheezing)

Continue to try to clean/flush the eye, you can use saline and warm compresses. Do you see any pus/discharge?

You can apply some Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment in the eye, to see if that helps, but she may need antibiotics in addition to the ointment and cleaning.

I had something very similar happen to me.

She got a bug bite or a peck wound, which turned into bubbles (which freaked me out, because mycoplasma), and then turned into her eye scabbing shut.

I separated her, used warm water compress, saline wash, and a little Vetericyn eye ointment. After about a week or so, her eye started opening.

I think she lost her eyelids, but she seems no worse for the wear. :)

Chickens are awesome at healing themselves.

But as Wyorp Rock mentioned, anything bubbly that accompanied by sneezing, snot, wheezing, hunching, or going off food or water warrants a closer look.

Keep us posted!

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom