Eyes not open but movement and lots of chirping.

chickensandhappiness

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2018
I hatched a baby chick today and it is my second time hatching! So the one that hatched today, I assisted in the hatch because she piped and I could not get out after 24 hours. So she finally fluffed up and she is the brooder box. She is making a ton of noise but barely opening up her eyes. What should I do? She also has splayed legs but I’m hoping to fix that with a bandaid. She is a showgirl.

I hatched a baby chick today and it is my second time hatching! So the one that hatched today, I assisted in the hatch because she piped and I could not get out after 24 hours. So she finally fluffed up and she is the brooder box. She is making a ton of noise but barely opening up her eyes. What should I do? She also has splayed legs but I’m hoping to fix that with a bandaid. She is a showgirl.
How is she doing now?
Here's some tips for fixing splay leg
https://the-chicken-chick.com/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it/

How is she doing now?
Here's some tips for fixing splay leg
https://the-chicken-chick.com/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it/
It’s hard for her to get around with the splayed leg. I used a bandaid and wrapped it around her legs to bring them closer but she keeps falling on her back. I got her to drink a little water last night. Her eyes only open when I pick her up, other than that she lays down, attempts to walk and makes a ton of noise. I know she won’t eat until tonight or tomorrow but she is not drinking much either.

Can you get some Poultry Nutri-Drench and give her 1-2 drops daily?
I would still try to get her hydrated first, you can offer a little wet soupy chick starter now.
Do you have her in a brooder where she is warm?
Look at the link I gave you, using the vetwrap sometimes works a little better than a bandaid.
Sometimes chicks hatched with splay leg and weakness like this fail to thrive, regardless of how much we try to help them. Hopefully she will perk up and do o.k.
If you have photos or a video you would like to share, that would be good too.

I would still try to get her hydrated first, you can offer a little wet soupy chick starter now.
Look at the link I gave you, using the vetwrap sometimes works a little better than a bandaid.
Sometimes chicks hatched with splay leg and weakness like this fail to thrive, regardless of how much we try to help them. Hopefully she will perk up and do o.k.
She is in
The bandaids have actually worked! I kept them on for 24 hours and took them off for her to walk and she did great. I’m gonna continue with the method. What I’m concerned about is she won’t eat, she only drinks when i bring her to the water and she lays down most of the time. I’m going to water down the food and hopefully she will get something in her. She has not pooped yet either and she doesn’t have pasty butt. I will take a video now. Thank you for the help!

She kind of just puts her head up and then falls
She is in

The bandaids have actually worked! I kept them on for 24 hours and took them off for her to walk and she did great. I’m gonna continue with the method. What I’m concerned about is she won’t eat, she only drinks when i bring her to the water and she lays down most of the time. I’m going to water down the food and hopefully she will get something in her. She has not pooped yet either and she doesn’t have pasty butt. I will take a video now. Thank you for the help!
Update she is drinking! I have a feeling she was just dehydrated maybe. Her eyes are open more often now.

Give her a little bit of colloidal silver. I know I say that for a lot of other conversations, but it works!!!!!!! It will help keep her safe from infections

She is in

She kind of just puts her head up and then falls

Update she is drinking! I have a feeling she was just dehydrated maybe. Her eyes are open more often now.
I'm glad the band aid is working! :)
She's drinking! That's good too!
Yes, try some watered down feed, see if she will take that. If at all possible get some Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell and give her 1-2 drops per day for a week.
It's always good to have poultry vitamins on hand.
Please keep me posted, I hope to hear more good news!

Back
Top Bottom