Eyes swollen shut, yellow discharge out of nose, slightly raspy

ixJessiexi

Chirping
Mar 5, 2017
Aurora
Howdy,

I currently have a 2yr old hen whose eyes are swollen shut, she has smelly yellow discharge coming from her nostrils, what looks like clear spit coming out of her mouth at times and when taking a deep breath she sounds a little raspy. She is separated from the other 3 hens currently. It does not look like she is eating but I try to give her some water and clear out her nostrils so she can breathe a little better.

Within my research on here and asking other bird owners, they recommended me trying Vet Rx, so I have ordered some as all of the feed stores nearby are closed or do not carry any. Is there anything else I can I can give her?! I have read older threads about the homemade saline solution, which is currently on the stove at the moment, cooling.

I have spoken to 2 different vets here in Colorado. One says we need to see her ASAP and its $200 just to have her be diagnosed which they then referred me to a clinic that is 2 hours away (because they are better suited for handling chickens). When I spoke to them their response was "we are only seeing emergencies due to the state lockdown and at this moment supportive care at home works best." When I asked what I can give her, the tech said they can't diagnosed over the phone so they really can't suggest anything except for quarantine and make sure she is eating and drinking. Insert worlds biggest frustrated eye roll.
:barnie

I hate that she has just sat in the same spot for the last 2 days but I really cannot afford $250+ right now with the current state of employment.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 6.50.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 6.50.48 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
If both eyes are swollen and she stinks, it sound like coryza versus MG. Both are chronic respiratory diseases. Testing would confirm which. Have you added any birds lately or been around someone else’s birds? Can you get sulfadimethoxine or SMZ-TMP (bactrim) from any source locally or online. I would keep her isolated from others. If you should lose her, call your state poultry vet to get a necropsy to get a diagnosis. The body has to be kept cold, and taken in or shipped overnight to the lab. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
You may find sulfa drugs by contacting this company:
https://glamgouldians.com/product-medicox.php

No new birds have been added to my flock. Our next door neighbors, whom we share a fence with (my side of the fence is an 8 ft high wooden fence), have gotten some chickens. I have no clue what breed they are or how old. I would say they have added them within the last 2 months.

I will check into getting the suggested medications asap!

I just went to check on her and her and her right eye has started to open up slightly. Enough that I can see her pupil, which the eyeball itself looks clear and I cannot see any discharge coming from her eyes when I gently pressed on them.

Thank you

No new birds have been added to my flock. Our next door neighbors, whom we share a fence with (my side of the fence is an 8 ft high wooden fence), have gotten some chickens. I have no clue what breed they are or how old. I would say they have added them within the last 2 months.

I will check into getting the suggested medications asap!

I just went to check on her and her and her right eye has started to open up slightly. Enough that I can see her pupil, which the eyeball itself looks clear and I cannot see any discharge coming from her eyes when I gently pressed on them.

Thank you
How did she go? She is a beautiful bird though!

This may not work but could soothe her, try strong, cold tea on a cotton ball, soak it and wipe her eyes. Works a treat on kittens with gunky eyes. Little trick we use down here in New Zealand ☺️

Back
Top Bottom