Eyes Wide Shut

I have a hot plate, so I won’t be able to tell the real temperature. One side is slightly higher than the other, so the chicks can pick a side.

The eye chick had one eye open, with the other eye goopy. I just gave her a dose of Terramycin in both eyes.

I just gave the newly sick one Nutri-Dench, plus added it to their water.

Is this Cocci?
If the chicks are less than a week old, it's probably not Coccidiosis.
Is this the first batch of chicks you have ever raised? Put a thermometer under the heat plate and get the temperature.
Can all those chicks fit comfortably under the heat plate if they need it?

I got an order from Cackle Thursday. Two blue silkies were DOA, then a third died Friday night. Also last night I found a blue polish with what must have been a broken neck. It was awful and I culled it immediately. Maybe she jumped on the heater plate and fell off on her head. I’m sad to have so many chick deaths.

Now I have a Blue Polish whose eyes are shut. What do I do? I opened them for her and she was able to so where to go for food and water. She was peeping loudly, which i now realize because she is blind and stressed. I will continue dipping her beak and opening her eyes when I see her.

With her black feathers on the eye, it seems like the eyeball!

View attachment 1737343

View attachment 1737344
She may not be blind, chicks and chickens do that when they do not feel good, they close their eyes.

You can give a drop of nutridrench directly to the beak of the particularly weak chicks. A bit of raw honey or molasses in the water can sometimes help perk them up a bit if they are stressed too and then once they perk up they are more likely to eat their regular food.

I'm not sure what kind of food you have (maybe I missed that part), but you can add water and make soup/mash out of it and it might be a bit easier for them as well.

All the other chicks are perky and doing well, but this is the second really, really sick one. The one with the eyelids closed did not appear sick the these.

I put a drop of Nutri-dench in her beak and she drinks when I dip her beak. She won’t eat, though.

Back
Top Bottom